Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing China — Travel's Best-kept Secret Of The Year

Let's see U.S people's impression about China after they travel to it

Remember it was 2 years ago, Today's China is much better than that time.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.suddenlysenior.com/china1.html

SHORT QUIZ for all you world travelers and wannabes:

In what foreign country are you safest visiting today?

What country has the greatest variety of extraordinary sights, cuisines, nationalities and cultures?

In what country do you eat 15 to 20-course meals and never gain weight?

What country actually reveres senior citizens?

What country still loves Americans for fighting on their side in WW II?
    And in what country can you expect a warm, genuine smile from everyone?
    It's all true, and so much more, in today's China.

Last month, Carolyn and I placed ourselves in the able hands of Autumn Song at China Professional Tours for three of the most fascinating — you could even say enchanting — weeks of our lives.

CPT calls it their customized "Emperor's Choice Tour." But it's hard to imagine any emperor in China's 4,000-year history ever indulged as we were with five-star hotels every night, 20-course meals, and our own personable, experienced and knowledgeable guides every step of the way.

They should call it the "Spoiled Rotten in China" tour.

Starting in Beijing after a 12-hour flight over the North Pole, Carolyn and I were met at the new airport by our personal guide, Beijing born and bred, 10-year veteran of the tourist trade and sometime traveler to the US. For the next three days, she and our skilled driver introduced us to the cream of China's modern capital city.

It knocked our socks off.

I don't know what I expected of China. Perhaps everyone riding bicycles, wearing Mao outfits with surgical masks.

Instead we found a thoroughly modern city, akin to New York or Berlin — sophisticated, fashionable, dynamic. In fact, Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong all compare well with any city in the world today.

Architecture is vibrant and bold. Of the 21 tallest buildings in the world, 15 scrape the skies of China. English is widely spoken. By the 2008 Olympics, Beijingers are expected to know 600 helpful English phrases. Most street signs are already in both Chinese and English.

Two sharp differences between our Western cities and those in China that we visited:

You seldom see trash or squalor. Not even cigarette butts. The parks and highway mediums are all as beautifully manicured as an emperor's concubine.

The people, they all smile. Seriously! China is the friendliest place we've ever been, the Chinese more congenial and open even than the Italians. Everyone all across this vast land genuinely wished to befriend us. From groups practicing Tai Chi to street market vendors, all went out of their way to make us feel welcome and wanted.
    As curious about us as we were them, the Chinese we encountered were full of charm, delight, and accommodation. Unlike traveling in Europe or Latin America, we modern Marco Polos were never taken for granted in China.

Our itinerary featured Beijing with its Forbidden City, Summer Palace and Great Wall, then the ancient walled city of Xian, the beginning of the famous Silk Road, with its historic Buddhist pagoda and underground army of 7,000 terracotta warriors discovered in 1974.

At that point, Carolyn and I and our cameras needed a rest.

And rest we got aboard the 5,500-ton five-star deluxe cruiser East King as we ate our way up the picturesque Yangtze River starting at the Three Gorges Dam Project — four days wallowing in the luxury of 95 crew catering to just 21 passengers, interspersed with shore trips to pagodas, grottos, cave coffins and easygoing white-water rafting by sampan. As our Australian dinner tablemate exclaimed, "Everyone treats you like a bloomin' queen!"

Next stop: Chengdu, capital city of Szechwan cuisine and home of the famous Giant Panda Breeding Center. Perhaps the highlight of Carolyn's trip was holding, even cuddling a giant panda. She fell head over heels in love. Luckily for me, we couldn't take him home with us.

Guilin — we're now some 1,100 miles south of Beijing — is known throughout China as "the most beautiful attraction on earth." This land of spectacular caves and unique, often bizarre and dreamlike limestone peaks is where photographers meet from around the world to capture the ultimate Chinese landscape image.

Carolyn and I spent three days taking pictures, exploring caves, shopping, walking, and simply enjoying not only this area's natural beauty but the people of what must be China's most friendly city — and that's saying something!

From Guilin to Hong Kong is only an hour's flight but a world away in attitude. Here is New York with bargains. This where you want to shop for that new digital camera, silk tablecloth, or cloisonné-inlaid globe ($65!).

Today's China is modern, safe, friendly, and hassle free, yet the most exotic and exciting of places. Its cuisine is as various and tasty as its rich landscape, but even 20-course meals end with watermelon, not sweets. While eating better than we ever had, we each actually lost weight, a first for any vacation.

You'll find, as we did, China's greatest asset is its people. Warm, open, curious, and affectionate, they will greet you as they did us with a world of smiles.

Carolyn will be writing about her impressions of this extraordinary destination. There's so much more that we want to share with you.

SEE A SLIDESHOW OF SOME OF OUR CHINA PHOTOS. CLICK HERE!

Copyright © 2004 – Frank Kaiser

THE FACTS:

Tour Costs: We shopped around. There are short, cheap tours of China starting at about $1,000. But we wanted the best: a tour just for the two of us, always staying at five-star hotels, guided by experienced professionals, and worry free. China Professional Tours out of Atlanta fit our order to a "T". Our customized tour gave us exactly what we wanted, from opera in Chengdu to extra days in Guilin and Hong Kong. The cost for our three-week adventure was $3,845 each, everything included. Ten days of luxurious travel with CPT starts at $2,500. Call 1-800.25.CHINA for information and brochures. Or go to www.chinaprofessional.com.

Getting There: Most common points of entry are Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. CPT has preferential agreements with United and others, often for around $800 rt. (Carolyn and I used frequent-flyer miles.)

What to Wear: China is casual. Unless you're intention is business, forget the suit and tie, leave the Gucci and Armani home. Chinese wear what we wear in Florida; it's all made in China anyway. I took jeans, chinos, sports shirts, and swimming trunks. Remember: all four- and five-star hotels in China have swimming pools. Most important, wear comfortable, non-slip shoes.

What to Eat: Breakfast at the hotels is Western. Eggs exactly the way you want them. Although food differs greatly from region to region, you'll be served 13 to 20-course meals for lunch and supper. Try a little of everything. When it comes to veggies, I'm a George Bush The First kind of guy. But in China vegetables are so fresh, so tasty, even broccoli tastes good.

And though you'll probably get a fork with your meal, eat with chopsticks. You may spill a bit at first, but this is a skill you will put to good use at each meal. Waiters are more than happy to show you how to hold them, and you'll find eating with chopsticks just makes the experience all the richer. If you get homesick, every city now has its McDonald's and KFCs. Biggest surprise: Coffee everywhere is delicious. As a rule, don't drink tap water. Buy bottled water at a local store. Carry one with you.

Toilets: Hotels and most all tourist destinations have the kind of toilets you're used to. However, get off the beaten track — this includes even The Great Wall — and you find "honeypots," a slit trench in the floor. You squat over it. Many bathrooms have both. Handicapped signs often indicate where you want to go. Always carry toilet paper and/or Handiwipes.

Language: Although many Chinese speak English, a few Chinese phrases will get you far in this country. "Hi" is nee-hao; use it often as it makes for instant friends. "Yes" is dwee or yao. I think. Boo yao is what you say to overzealous street vendors, meaning "No thank you." No" is boo dwee. "Please" is ching. Probably most important is shie-shie for "thank you."

Shopping: Be prepared to bargain, whenever you are buying from a vendor. When a price is quoted, offer 50 – 90 percent less. No English? They write a figure. Then you negotiate from there. Check out other vendors offering the same goods. It is all done in great fun, and a way of life, even for the locals. Shops are open from around 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Credit cards are accepted at hotels and most larger stores. You'll find ATM machines, too. But take American Express checks for incidentals at out-of-the-way places.

E-mail: All the hotels in which we stayed had high-speed Internet connections in our rooms. You'll find cyber cafes everywhere, even little shops to download your digital photo cards to CD.

Planes: Unlike Russia and other developing nations, flying in China is like flying in the US. We flew on 737s most everywhere. All the airports are modern and new. Customs officials actually smile.

Tipping: Ten years ago, tipping was illegal in China. No more. But just a dollar a bag will bring big smiles from porters; a $20 bill (or 100 Yuen/day) will go a long way in thanking your personal city guide or driver.

What about Communism? The only meaningful "-ism" in China these days is consumerism. We never saw armed troops or other signs of the heavy hand of dictatorship anywhere.

Religious Services: Beijing, for example, has 17 Catholic and 19 Protestant churches. Law protects freedom of religion.

Our over-sensitive Neo will not like this kind of story.
    Let's see what filth and dirt Neo will spit out again to counter this story.

Comment

why should i? i only speak on facts. if this is one then so be it. as i said as a country i am not interested in china. its some foolish ppl making derogatory remarks about india that i am trying to educate.

if china is paradise, good for chinese. i have nothing against that . but if someone posts bullshit about india, i ll bring out some not so rosy facts about china.
      I 'll show u a new world!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo

if china is paradise, good for chinese. i have nothing against that . .
        looks like you are already much educated by the chinese posts. you were not so " friendly" to china in your previous posts. hehe, good, keep on good learning and progressing , neo, you can do it, i'm with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
          why should i? i only speak on facts. if this is one then so be it. as i said as a country i am not interested in china. its some foolish ppl making derogatory remarks about india that i am trying to educate.

if china is paradise, good for chinese. i have nothing against that . but if someone posts bullshit about india, i ll bring out some not so rosy facts about china.
          Good to hear that.
          You will not regret it if you visit China and see it for yourself.
          I have been to India several times already and I want to visit it again.
          Last edited by Agra; 01-11-2007, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agra
            Good to hear that.
            You will not regret it if you visit China and see it for yourself.
            I have been to India several times already and I want to visit it again.
            may be..some day. i love visiting places but never thought about china nor business took me there.

how much does a 2-bedroom apartment cost in ghonzhau? just trying to compare with those in growing indian cities. prices here have gone crazy in recent years.

which is the biggest class in china? middle income(office works) or farmers and workers in industries?

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
              may be..some day. i love visiting places but never thought about china nor business took me there.

how much does a 2-bedroom apartment cost in ghonzhau? just trying to compare with those in growing indian cities. prices here have gone crazy in recent years.

which is the biggest class in china? middle income(office works) or farmers and workers in industries?
              The average condo price in Guangzhou is around $1,000 USD per sq.m

The price for below high class condo/appartments is around $1500-$3000 USD per sq.m

As for the biggest class, it must be farmers 10 years ago, but now I am not quite sure since things changed a lot during the last several years.
              My best guess is that farmers(35%)-workers(45%)-Office works(20%)
              In the coast big cities, more than 75% should be office works.

Comment

Originally posted by googleabcd
                The average condo price in Guangzhou is around $1,000 USD per sq.m

The price for below high class condo/appartments is around $1500-$3000 USD per sq.m

As for the biggest class, it must be farmers 10 years ago, but now I am not quite sure since things changed a lot during the last several years.
                My best guess is that farmers(35%)-workers(45%)-Office works(20%)
                In the coast big cities, more than 75% should be office works.
                almost the same as in bangalore or hyderabad. i guess is fuelled by the emerging middle class in both the countries.

what kind of social programs does the government of china offer? is medical insurance and housing guaranteed for all? or is that no longer the policy in tune with the open door economic policy of china?

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                  almost the same as in bangalore or hyderabad. i guess is fuelled by the emerging middle class in both the countries.

what kind of social programs does the government of china offer? is medical insurance and housing guaranteed for all? or is that no longer the policy in tune with the open door economic policy of china?
                  -No medical insurace. You need to buy it yourself or your company will provide it for you. For example, China government provide medical insurance to all employee working in state own companies or govertment offices.
                  China is planning a medical reform, but no one knows about the detail yet.
                  -9 years free education to children, from primary school to middle school. Tuition fee for university is pretty expensive, about $1,300 USD per year
                  -No tax for farmers(A new policy staring from 2006)
                  -Before, all employees working at state own companies and government have FREE housing. This situation was changed in 1997, now everyone needs to buy his/her own appt/house. And the housing price in China went very high these days. The most expensive condo in China is like $10,000 to $13,000 USD per S.Q.

IMO, most of China's current policies and systems are changed to the U.S style, except the congress and election.

Comment

Originally posted by googleabcd
                    -No medical insurace. You need to buy it yourself or your company will provide it for you. For example, China government provide medical insurance to all employee working in state own companies or govertment offices.
                    China is planning a medical reform, but no one knows about the detail yet.
                    -9 years free education to children, from primary school to middle school. Tuition fee for university is pretty expensive, about $1,300 USD per year
                    -No tax for farmers(A new policy staring from 2006)
                    -Before, all employees working at state own companies and government have FREE housing. This situation was changed in 1997, now everyone needs to buy his/her own appt/house. And the housing price in China went very high these days. The most expensive condo in China is like $10,000 to $13,000 USD per S.Q.

IMO, most of China's current policies and systems are changed to the U.S style, except the congress and election.
                    Time magazine's current issue has carried a very nice analysis of china's future in this century and offered insights into both internal as well as foreign policies of china. Its a good assesment and in some ways reflects the points i have made in my posts.
                    do read it when u guys get time. its very well balanced giving the pros and cons of china's policies. it also talks about the immense work still to be done citing china's per capita income to be still a fraction of developed countries and some resentment in african nations due to china's colonizing era policies ( african countries as sources of raw material and dumping grounds of finished products), china's support of the genocidal regime in sudan just because 70% of sudan's oil reserves are held by chinese companies etc..

the positive aspects mentioned are increased cooperation between china and other countries, i was not aware that india and china have signed an agreement to make joint bids for oil explorations instead of competing against each other. this is a good begining.

the article talks about taiwan being a issue that could manifest in ugly ways as also the possibility of china remaining peaceful and focusing on economic development.

moral of the story- there's place in this century for everyone to work together but a misplaced step on part of anyone could mean disaster for all.

lets hope this century will belong to peace and prosperity for all the countries of the world.

Comment

ok see all chinese, I have nothing against Chinese and I used to respect them but after seeing what comments they make about Indians I lost respect for Chinese people from China.

But still I admire their progress and India should take a leaf out of their book.

Comment

Indeed. I used to congratulate China and clap my hands for it seeing its progress but after seeing rude Chinese here I don't like reading anything about China. What achievement these supposed Chinese have done by making us hate their country.

Comment

Originally posted by observer
                          Indeed. I used to congratulate China and clap my hands for it seeing its progress but after seeing rude Chinese here I don't like reading anything about China. What achievement these supposed Chinese have done by making us hate their country.
                          Man,you have the reason to hate some chinese here.But you have no reason to hate china. Don't mix things up.
                          I also hate some indians here,but I don't hate india.

Comment

Originally posted by chinesemilitaryfan
                            Man,you have the reason to hate some chinese here.But you have no reason to hate china. Don't mix things up.
                            I also hate some indians here,but I don't hate india.
                            yeah that's what we said. We still admire China. India admires China but i hate some chinese people over here who comes and disrespects India.

Comment

Working...
                            X