Buddhism and Political Relationships in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddhism and Political Relationships in India

Firstly I would like to wish you all a happy new year!

I need to find a modern example of the relationship between Buddhism and politics in India.

I am aware that the Dalai Lama was exiled from Tibet, and recently Hindus have been converting to Buddhism, but what significance have these had in India politically?

I would greatly appreciate any help or new suggestions for me to further look into.

Hi Rose,

Happy new year to you too.

The Dalai Lama and the Tibetans in exile don't involve themselves in the politics of India.

Lots of Indians who feel discriminated against by old Hindu social customs (the caste system) convert to Buddhism as a sign of protest and to escape discrimination. They have also in some instances made political parties and have become a political force to reckon with in some regions of India.

Comment

The main reason that buddhism was never a major force in india is beause, it was never challenged by native hindus. hindus accepted it with open arms and made buddha as one of their gods. If religion is not challenged it is bound to decline.

Comment

Buddhism is not a major force in India but just like every single religion Buddhism has equal place in India and there are lots of buddhists in India.

Comment

what's your opinions on the prosperity of Buddhism in China and Japan in history, while it had been almost eradicated from the land of India?

Comment

I don't really have an opinion but I guess the spread of Buddhism in China and Japan brought the cultures of India, China and Japan a bit closer, maybe inculcated the same values in some ways. But I don't know if those values were there already before Buddhism..things like respect for one's parents, respect for elders, respect for ancestors, politeness, humility etc.

Comment

Originally posted by observer
              I don't really have an opinion but I guess the spread of Buddhism in China and Japan brought the cultures of India, China and Japan a bit closer, maybe inculcated the same values in some ways. But I don't know if those values were there already before Buddhism..things like respect for one's parents, respect for elders, respect for ancestors, politeness, humility etc.
              It may be true that Buddhism may have brought the cultures together. But certainly all the cultures have certain inherent values of the respect for elders, ancestors, politeness etc as these are the part of human nature. Certainly faiths bring a confirmation of these values.
              Don’t worry, Be happy

Comment

Some time I'm curious about the reason why Buddhism can be so prevailing in China, comparing its fall in India

Comment

Is Buddhism really prevalent in China? As far as I know it's only prevalent in Tibet and not the Chinese hinterland. Also I've read that Buddhism faced opposition from Chinese traditionalists like followers of Confucius in the past because it was an imported religion/philosophy.

Comment

I should say, it's not prevalent in an apparent way, but has a fundenmental effect on the thoughts of the Chinese. It seems that almost all those intellectuals in Chinese history more or less had some relation to it. When they are lucky in life and had the opportunity to get an important role in the government to carry on their theories on governing the country, they act in the confucianism way,and when they are not accepted by the government, they apply the idea of Buddhism in their life to balance their moods,and a lot of works of art and literature are done by them in this state of living.

Comment

That's very interesting to know ruoli. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Actually, many accounts point toward Buddhism declining because Adi Shankara challenged all Buddhists in philosophical dialog and defeated them. Of course these maybe romanticized in a way......but one thing is for sure. Advaita Vedanta definitely addresses the big philosophical questions of the meaning of existence far better than Buddhism does IMO.

Comment

Working...
                        X