film poster sparks row, complaint against director

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• film poster sparks row, complaint against director

Documentary filmmaker Leena Manimekalai had shared a poster of her new film on social media stating it was a part of the ‘Rhythms of Canada’ segment at the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto.A complaint was filed against Indian documentary filmmaker Leena Manimekalai for a poster in her new film ‘Kaali’ where a woman dressed as th Hindu deity is seen smoking. The complaint filed with the Delhi Police on Monday said Manimekalai had hurt Hindu sentiments.

"Super thrilled to share the launch of my recent film - today at @AgaKhanMuseumas part of its 'Rhythms of Canada'. Feeling pumped with my CREW," Manimekalai had tweeted with the poster.

Manimekalai is not the first director to face such outrage. Several films and shows have in the past faced the ire of Twitterati and got into trouble for allegedly hurting religious sentiments. Some of the latest ones include Anurag Basu's 'Ludo' and Saif Ali Khan-starrer web series 'Taandav'.

The Madurai-born Toronto-based director had shared the poster on social media platforms where a woman in Goddess Kaali's attire can be seen smoking a cigarette. In the background, she can also be seen holding the pride flag of the LGBTQ community.

The poster infuriated some netizens, who felt it was an insult towards religious sentiments and demanded the poster be withdrawn. Soon after, the hashtag #ArrestLeenaManimekalai started trending on Twitter with users calling for action against the filmmaker.

"Leena Manimekalai a filmmaker portraying Hindu God as cigarettes smokers. She is Insulting Maa Kaali," wrote a user.

"I demand the arrest of leena Manimekalai. We won't tolerate the disrespect of our GODDESS KAALI MAA.We all the way of Tamil government this “Today I am raising my voice for the arrest of an anti-Hindu filmmaker. Will you all be with me,” tweeted another user, with the hashtag. Manimekalai has since restricted comments on her Instagram. The film was part of the ‘Rhythms of Canada’ segment at the Aga Khan Museum in Toronto, according to a tweet by the filmmaker.

Web design company

Film posters can often stir controversy, whether due to their content, messaging, or artistic choices. If a film poster has sparked a row and led to complaints against the director, it likely means that some aspect of the poster has offended or upset certain individuals or groups.

Such controversies can arise for various reasons:
    1. Offensive Content: The poster might contain imagery, language, or symbols that are considered offensive or insensitive to certain communities or beliefs.
    2. Misrepresentation: Sometimes, posters might misrepresent the content or themes of the film, leading to misunderstandings or backlash.
    3. Cultural Sensitivities: Cultural contexts can play a significant role. What might be acceptable or provocative in one culture could be perceived very differently in another.
    4. Political or Social Commentary: Posters can be a form of artistic expression that touches on sensitive political or social issues, which can polarize opinions.
    5. Marketing Strategy: Occasionally, controversies might even be intentionally sparked as part of a marketing strategy to generate buzz around the film, though this approach can backfire if handled insensitively.
    Neha Rani
    Success doesn't come to u , U Go To It....

Comment

Working...
    X