Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all book lovers in Bangalore! Want to join a new reading group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all book lovers in Bangalore! Want to join a new reading group?

Hi everyone,

I moved from London to Bangalore 3 months ago and am looking to share my love of books with other like minded people. I thought I would try out the idea of starting a reading group, what do you think?
    My intiial thoughts are that we could meet up somewhere nice every three weeks, discuss the book, have heated debates, have a giggle, a gossip- even some dinner if we're still talking to eachother!

A little about me- 28 years old of Indian (Punjabi) origin. British by birth. Living with my boyfriend who was transferred to Bangalore from London. Pure veggie and tee-total- don't let that put you off, I am silly enough without the help of alcohol. I am working 3 days a week for an NGO writing proposals. I love movies, books, The Sopranos, chatting, laughing, surfing the net, trying to get into the minds of others, cooking, exploring new places,spirituality, social issues and making new friends!

I would like to invite women with an eclectic taste in books, preferrably who could bring a new perspective and share their passion- whatever it may be. It can be hard to find a safe group of people to whom you can truly express yourself so I hope to make this group such a place through the medium of books.

To give you an impression of the kind of stuff I like, here are a few of my recent and (not so recent) favourite reads in no particular order:

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
    The Corrections by Johnathon Franzen
    The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
    The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
    The Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw
    Dirty Havana Trilogy by Pedro Juan Gutierrez
    The Argumentative Indian by Amartya Sen
    Difficult Daughters by Manju Kapur
    Collected Essays by Mahasweta Devi
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
    Emergency Sex (And Other Desperate Measures): True Stories From A Warzone by: Heidi Postlewait

Currently reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.

I thought it would be nice if we take turns to choose an interesting book for us all to read and then discuss over dinner, like I said earlier- every 3rd week. No Chick Lit and no Dan Brown type blockbusters allowed! My preference would be to read books with an element of social or political context, so you need to be up for challenging your own preconceptions and perhaps even learning something new!

So if you're keen to make new, interesting and diverse friends, have frank discussions on every topic and and you have a love of books, please get in touch. I will keep all your names and contact details for when we have a nice number of people- not too many and then we'll begin! This is just an idea I had recently so its in its embryonic stage right now- if you have any suggestions on how it could be improved then please share!

The first book we have decided to read is Such A Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry, we will meet for lunch to discuss the book and other things early next month. Should be good fun. You dont need to feel self concious or nervous, we would all be in the same position. Your profession, lifestyle, marital status, sexuality, social/economic background is irrelivent. We would not be judging you, if anyone did, they would not be invited back. Like I said earlier I want this to be a safe place for us all- where we can be true to ourselves. So, If you're fun-loving with a passion for interesting books and you're able to travel to the city centre once a month then you're the people for me!

I look forward to hearing form you soon.

Rani (ranisanghera@hotmail.com)
    P.S, you will need to be able to afford to buy the selected book every 3 weeks, travel to our meetings and go out for dinner-probably on a weeknight. Sounds like a bargain to me!

What about Nancy friday, can you add it in your list for the discussion?

Comment

Nancy Friday isnt exactley literary fiction so I dont want to include it, anyway all the members would get an oppurtunity to help choose a book. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Comment

Working...
      X