Matriarchal Families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matriarchal Families

To my understanding and experience, a matriarchal family deprives personal growth of the daughters-in-law and their immediate family comprising of her husband and children. In such families, men are dummies and seldom possess an identity of their own and are seldom individualistic. this is not their fault, but the matriarch's. The men are not allowed to decide for themselves. Neither are they able to decide for their immediate family. The matriarch always controls and commands and instructs the men what to do and what not to do for themselves, for the family and for their wives. The daughters-in-law are affected at a large extent due to this. This affects the psyche of the daughters-in-law who have come into the household not to be slaves but an individual and a companion to her husband. this companioinship is deprived of them because of the matriarch. A patriarchal family is not so destructive. Is ther anyone who has to say for or against me?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2005, 01:45 PM.

End results are the same

Whether you have a highly dictatorial Patriarch or Matriarch, it's both destructive. I agree that their children would be psychologically affected by this, but at the end of the day, every adult is capable of making their own choices. Whether they have the guts to do it is a different matter.

For example, say Aasha has married a guy, Rohan, who comes from a Matriarch family. He is a very nice guy, and Aasha dreams of being his companion, and living their life together. But Rohan never does anything without his mother's permission, because he has never been allowed to before. But why doesn't he? He is an adult male? Surely, he should just stand up to his mother. But unfortunately, when it comes to family, lots of people are either weak, or suffer from guilt complex. But they are all excuses. Anyone who truly craves independence and freedom of choice, will go through hell and back to get it. Trust me, I speak from a personal experience.

Conclusive comment is that no matter what kind of background you come from, though it effects you, it cannot stop you from growing as a person, and from making your own choices until you let it. So it entirely depends on whether the person has guts and strength to go for it.

Comment

Even the family is matriarchal family the men are still in charge. The problem with matriarchal families are that men, who are responsible for the family and the economics, usually don't live together. But there are several solutions for that problem, so men can still be responsible and make the decisions for his family. Matriacrhal lineage means that you trace the lineage through women. In some societies women have more power but it varies. There is not a society found yet where women posses all the power.
      To be honest I am more worried for the daughter-in-laws living in patriarchal families.

Comment

Working...
      X