Concept of Women and Marriage in most Indian Societies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept of Women and Marriage in most Indian Societies

I have seen that in most patriarchal societies, a woman is 'bred' and 'subjected' to practice the customary ways of understanding the social experiences through the man, thus building a belief and staying off the man's dominion. The woman is allowed to see the world only through what 'her man' has to say.

The man subdues the woman all the way through. At one point, the woman somehow breaks free, but falls short of experience and confidence to face the big 'new' world. Even as an unmarried woman in the household, the woman is bound to the security of her feminity by the mansion and the family. Only when she is married is she allowed the luxury of venturing into the pleasures of a new realm of fancy called love, which is otherwise considered shameful before marriage. A woman is married to a strange man, often ravenous, who ravages her long guarded virginity. This, a woman has to accept as a privilege despite being repulsive and far from her liking. Within a span of hours, she is expected to deliver herself selflessly to the man and devote her service to his family, forgetting her maternal home, as they would have already DISOWNED her by way of 'kanya-daan'. She is let to swim in deep waters with no life guard or hope henceforth. To her hope becomes a deceptive horizon. She has to cater to the demanding needs of her in-laws and her husband and should be on the guard lest she upsets them all. She is expected to act as an equipment of pleasure for her husband, at the same time be subordinate; and also put up with his insults. Even if the husband and his family treat her like dirt, she is supposed to worship them for gifting a reincarnated life from the earlier sinned life at her maternal home. This, ofcourse, is far from the truth but is inevitably the attitude of the in-laws.She is expected to accept even the nastiest character of her husband as virtuous. She becomes submissive thus, resigning to the lot.

This poses a serious threat, sometimes, when the woman ralizes her 'natural limitations' as a comflicting basis of the man's self- centred concerns. Freedom of thought and action are exclusively male pursuits, from which the woman is excluded or rather 'ought to' be excluded, as it is generally considered. Handling the men and society required the dual management of the woman both as a 'woman' as well as an 'indian woman'. The spirit ruling the goodness of marriage is a wife's 'subdued' service to her husband and his family. The woman is seen either as a wife or a mother and seldom as a woman or an individual. And ofcourse this explains her dedication, most of the time compulsive willingness, solely to her own family's well being more than herself all her life; specially when she marries, she closes herself from self- discovery. A woman allows her sensible character to assert itself as an indubitable self-sacrifice to teh services of her husband - the Supreme and to uphold the purity of her race by resisting the seductive pull of freedom from 'bondage', which would trespass the borders dividing wifehood and womanhood. Thus the woman starts to deviate from concrete reality to abstraction when they are not 'rewarded' with marriage - the big logical mistake of the elders and society!!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2005, 01:46 PM.

All you have said is something all Indian women have thought, heard, or spoken at one point or another.

You are right in saying that the truth is different from that. Though I am certain that there are still families in existence who treat their women like that, many families, men these days, do treat the women in the family somewhat better. That is not to say it's better enough. But at least better than what it used to be say 10 years ago.

But should we settle for it, just because it's better than it used to be?
    I think not.

We are educated, intelligent women of a modern generation. We have not gone through 20 odd years of our single life with closed eyes. We are aware of the opportunites and the joys the world has to offer. And why should we not reach for it? Just because our mother-in-law would rather see us cooking for the entire family? Bullshit: is what I think of it.

I personally, do not agree with joint families or arranged marriages. If someone wants to do it, by all means go ahead and do it, but for me, it's something that I have to decide for myself. So when I decide to give up my long-protected virginity, I give it to a guy I chose, so instead of feeling like an equipment for pleasure, I feel loved and cherished. Instead of sex being something you are forced to accept as part of being married, it becomes something that brings you closer to your husband.

And mother-in-law can sit glowering at the bedroom door and think what she likes

Comment

Well said. I couldnt have said that better myself.

Comment

Working...
      X