Basic software needs for your Windows computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic software needs for your Windows computer

Your computer is as good as the software on it. So, what are the best choices? What software would an average user need on his Windows computer?What basic needs should be covered?

1. Security. Any Windows computer should have an anti-virus and anti-malware software, a firewall (if possible, a complete security suite). There are lots of programs to choose from, with names like BitDefender, AdAware, Zone Alarm, Kaspersky and the likes being some some of the most well known. You also need a good and secure browser (Firefox or Opera should be on your computer instead of Internet Explorer).

2. Multimedia players. I am sure everyone uses the computer to watch movies or listen to the latest music hits. So, you need good players for both of these, you need a streaming player also a.s.o. Among them, BSPlayer (movies), PowerDVD (DVDs), WinAmp (music), RealPLayer (streaming & online TV), QuickTime (movies) are some of the best choices.

3. Codecs. The codecs are necessary for your players to play movies.Usually,
    you should choose a codec pack, but which one is really a matter of taste. Some use the Ace Mega Codec Pack, which is a huge pack, I personally choose KLite codec pack, which is much lighter and convenient.

4. Archive utilities: Of course, WinZip and WinRar. Both of them are great and should be on your computer.

5. Document readers: You should have an office solution and a PDF reader (Adobe Reader).

6. Other software: You might want to write some CDs and DVDs, you might want to see some images from your camera and more.

Some software may be of use to you, some might not, but in my experience, all of the above is used at some point on any given computer, no matter its destination.

There are a lot more needs you might need to cover, but all of the above are common uses for a computer, so we will just cover the basics. For more specific software, you can check the reviews on megrisoft.com/services/software/

thanks
    Last edited by Parveen Komal; 08-30-2008, 01:22 PM.
Working...
X