Fight for justice: Jessica lal case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight for justice: Jessica lal case

On Tuesday, February 21, 2006 (New Delhi): After a seven-year-long trial, all nine accused in the Jessica Lal murder case have been acquitted by a Delhi court.

Additional Sessions Judge SL Bhayana acquitted prime accused Manu Sharma, son of former union minister Vinod Sharma.

Other high profile accused that have been let off are Vikas Yadav, son of former Rajya Sabha member DP Yadav, and Yograj Singh, father of cricketer Yuvraj Singh. Shyam Sunder Sharma, son-in-law of former president SD Sharma, Amardeep Singh, Vikas Gill, Harvinder, Raja Chopra and Alok Khanna have also been given a clean chit.

'Expected judgement'

Reacting to the order, Jessica's family said they had expected that the accused would eventually be acquitted.

The victim's family struggled against a system that was not keen to pursue the case right from the start.

The model was shot in the head at point blank range in the early hours of April 30, 1999 at socialite Bina Ramani's Tamarind Court restaurant in the Capital.

The prosecution argued that though statements of witnesses established that the accused were present at the party, they subsequently denied it.

The witnesses included Deepak Bhojwani, Bina Ramani, her husband George Mailhot and daughter Malini.

Clear divide

Many believe the case is a classic example of the rich and powerful getting away with murder.

In fact in May 1999, the Delhi High Court came down heavily on the city police for carrying out a shoddy investigation.

Accusations of harassing witnesses and tampering with evidence have flown thick and fast all along and the divide was clear too.

On the one hand, an average middle class family begging for justice and on the other, the sons of the rich and powerful.

But observers point out that perhaps nowhere was this divide more clear than in the acquittal of all nine accused.

Public outrage is building up across the country over the acquittal of all the nine accused in the Jessica Lal murder case. The Delhi High Court has already taken suo moto cognizance of the issue and sought a detailed report on the case from Police Commissioner KK Paul.

While the government has chosen to keep quiet, the opposition BJP has called for amendments to ensure punishment for witnesses who turn hostile.

Three key witnesses in the Jessica Lal murder case had turned hostile.

"In the last days of the NDA government, we had introduced a criminal law amendment in the Parliament. After the change of government the amendment was accepted but that part of the proposal was not accepted.

"I think the suggestions should be given another look and this may be an important case to highlight that," said Arun Jaitley, BJP leader.

Every one Please Post Your view on this issue...

Case Sheet
    =========

April 1999: Jessica Lal allegedly murdered by Manu Sharma
    May 2001: Key witness and struggling model Shyan Munshi, turns hostile
    July 2001: Malini Ramani identifies Manu Sharma as the man harassing Jessica at the party
    Aug 2001: Delhi High Court denies Manu Sharma bail
    Oct 2001: Socialite Bina Ramani identifies Manu Sharma in court
    Jan 2002: Manu Sharma gets bail
    Feb 2006: Delhi court acquits all nine accused in the case
    Last edited by sunilkumar; 03-01-2006, 07:36 PM.
    "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

This is grave injustice.This is the perfect example for mockery of law. If this case is not reopened/reinvestigated/reviewed it will forever be haunting on our judicial system that an innocent was killed and her killer was set free and the Rights mentioned in our Constitution are only for the rich and privileged (to be referred to as Ministers and their spoilt Brats).This is appaling.Everyone knows that the ministers son is the murderer.yet he is acquitted because the witnesses turned hostile.And surely all can guess the reason why they turned hostile. The case has to be reopened else it will be a mockery of law. This hurts much more because I am also law Graduate.

[1]Justice has to be given.

[2]Full protection to eye witness must be given.

[3]All public offical must be punished those who had tempered evidence of this case.

[4]Judge can only deliver judgement on fact & evidence but if he/she (i.e judge) had not maintain transperency then they must be question.

[5]If Dhananjay chatterji can be hanged, why not Manu sharma.?

[6]We read in book that against Law all citizen is equal, now its time to show the people of nation that in eyes of law all are equal.

But one thing about this case is that if it is reopen than in all other previous case in which accused were released can be reopen & re-investigated.
    Last edited by sunilkumar; 03-16-2006, 07:00 PM.
    "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

As India emerges as a global superpower, we have two priorities.. improving our infrastructure and reducing corruption to ensure justice at all levels Justice must prevail.. The retrial must be transparent.. The guilty must be brought to justice whatever their position or status

It is surely a mockery of the judicial system. This girl deserves justice but in a system like this it is doubtful. Its time for the authorities to face reality and make the right judgement. We need to prove that we are different. We stand for equality and fair play.
      Look Does Matter..........!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The acquittal of the accused in Jessica Lall murder case is a gross denial of justice to her parents. Moreover the verdict of the court on this case once again fortify the fact that how rich people get away from their crimes and the middle class people keep on struggling for justice, in this our own country - India

It is truly shocking that inspite of the fact that Jessica Lall was shot in a crowded party attended by a host of page 3 regulars, many of whom professed to be her friends and wellwishers,today, there is not a single person among them who has the courage of conviction to stand up and be heard when it is required the most.This incident has completely eroded my belief in the fairness of our judicial system which as such has a very poor track record of convictions in high profile cases.It is a laudable effort by all sections of the media to keep the issue alive in the public eye lest it is forgotten.I hope all the hostile witnesses are also booked for perjury and those accused in the murder get the maximum possible punishment under law.
        Making a million friends is not a miracle, the miracle is to make a friend who will stand by you when a million are against you..

Comment

hi im about to post
          Last edited by nehathapar; 03-16-2006, 06:23 PM.

Comment

If all are given clean chit then ...who is that killer who killed jessica lal ?

Comment

The Jessical Lal case started in 1999 and ended in 2006 ..that means seven year .... In Seven year Indian (Delhi) police was not able to solve this simple murder case.... what a shame for police department of India...

I dont know why we pay tax to government .. for such law and order ?
              Are we secure in our own country?
              Are we going to get justice in our own motherland?
              Last edited by Priyanka; 03-17-2006, 04:07 PM.
              Making a million friends is not a miracle, the miracle is to make a friend who will stand by you when a million are against you..

Comment

Originally posted by Priyanka
                The Jessical Lal case started in 1999 and ended in 2006 ..that means seven year .... In Seven year Indian (Delhi) police was not able to solve this simple murder case.... what a shame for police department of India...

I dont know why we pay tax to government .. for such law and order ?
                Are we secure in our own country?
                Are we going to get justice in our own motherland?
                i dont think its fair to blame the govt..well ya..they are not somethin tht i wld call ideal
                but doing a better thn OK job
                u shd be happy tht they agreed to open n review the case

priyanka..thts the whole thing..the case is not as simple as it looks....the witness shyan munshi(hope i got the spelling right) and some others have turned hostile
                i dont really blame them .... i think most of us wld have turned hostile ....considering the present circumstances
                this is where i wld blame the govt.no witness protection, no security
                comments expected !!!

Comment

Hello mr. anonymus... You think the govt. is doing better then ok???
                  And is the govt doing any favours by reopending the case???

Wheres justice??

If someday ur sister gets fucked and murdered by a bunch of political bastards we will see if u still make a same statement..

And whats so confusing about the case?? seven years damn it. Seven years...if they can t solve this confusion in seven years. Then ur the bigger problem..

Its suckers like you who never show up their face and try to stand for justice when something wrong is done to someone else.

And when it happens to you, you cry and frown.

Comment

Here the media is doing well in this case. NDTV chief Mr. Prannoy roy met to president and has given a pack of SMS over than two lakhs. and today Shayan Munshi, one main key witness in the sensational Jessica Lal murder case, was arrested at the Kolkata Airport today as he was about to leave for Bangkok.
                    Eat Healthy, Think Better....
                    India True Facts India Blog Dhoni No 1

Comment

I don't know the case is so much clear but the final Decision is not taken on it. It show the indian jugment Attitude

Comment

This jessica lall case is very complicated. So has the final judement been taken yet. What actually happened. Can anyone briefly tell me.

Comment

Working...
                        X