India Forums

Go Back   India Forums > Education, Jobs & Immigration > Immigration & Visa Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 10:40 PM

Default wat is form I 797 ??

Hello everyone.... I am quite new to all vis aapplication process ...Can u help me out..I m applying for H4 ..can u pls tell me wat are forms I 797 and I 129.? Thx a lot..

Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashna
Hello everyone.... I am quite new to all vis aapplication process ...Can u help me out..I m applying for H4 ..can u pls tell me wat are forms I 797 and I 129.? Thx a lot..

h1b visa is a two step process. in the first step, the USCIS ( a US government department) approves the application for employment in US. In the second step the US embassy issues a h1b visa allowing the person to enter US to take up that employment.

the first step is finished by the issuance of a form I797 by the USCIS. This form is taken by the visa applicant to the US embassy on interview date for the purpose of getting the visa stamped on the passport.

when a spouse goes for a H4 visa, he/she is also required to take this document with her to the embassy for the purpose of issuance of a derivative visa.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashna

I-129 is the form where an employer will petition for a non-immigrant worker to come & work in the US.

I-797 is the approval for your H visa and is needed at the US consulate in India in order to get your visa stamped.