Indian music VS Western music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian music VS Western music

Todays generation mostly prefer to listen western music rather than its own classical music. Are they take Indian music as 'dull and boring', while western as 'energetic'. I know this is very vast topic to discuss.
    But I want you all to share your views on ,Why this is so ?
    Last edited by megrisoft; 01-06-2006, 12:45 PM.
    Megrisoft Team Member
    Search India

regarding the topic

I really agree with you. The yong generation prefers western music rather than classical music.We cannot say what's the reason behind it but I think that it the impact of western culture on the existing generation.They just copy them whether it is good or bad .This is affecting our culture badly.
    Megrisoft team member
    Article Directory
    SEO India
    Link Building India

Comment

Indian Classical music is not every once cup of tea... western music generally have rhythm on which young generation can dance but people those who know hindi they prefer good melodies, they prefer old hindi songs which have some content of shayari (i.e literature). New generation are Rimixing that song because they also like that song and at the same time they need some beat on which they can party ...
      But this is also true those who know Indian classical singing they can adopt any type of singing western or eastern.
      After the age of 25 or 27 most of indian dont like dancing beat they prefer gazal, old songs etc.
      Last edited by sunilkumar; 12-30-2005, 01:55 PM.
      "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

It means that only for dancing purpose these young people are attracted by the western music.
        Megrisoft Team Member
        Search India

Comment

yea only for that .... because afte 30 yr they wont prefer such fast beat music in india... few western songs are very good which are not on fast beat like song of All-4-one ==> " i Swear By the moon & star of sky " people do like such song after age of 30 also
          "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

Music is part of culture. As culture changes, so does music. I would say that todays generation in india has grown up in a much more global culture than previous generations. Accordingly they listen to a much more global music.

Here in the west we dont listen to classical western music either. we listin to new forms of music. the fats beat songs (hip hop and reggae) you are talking about are a mix between american and african musical tradition. in the past few years it has even becom common to see some songs with strong indian influences.

The truth is that as society globalizes traditional cultures will be forced to compromise in some way. Music is one way where I think cultures can communicate to each other; while I am in India I am actually going to do some work on this topic. I would love to hear more about it. Also if any of you know somewhere that would like a live sample of "hip hop" let me know.
            together we create change. alone we can only react.

Comment

I was listening to an interview where the person being interviewed said "Indian music is based on melody and western music is based on harmony. There is a new trend called melharmony that attempts to fuse these together".
              I always enjoyed carnatic and hindustani since when I was young. I started learning carnatic recently. Music is always a journey.

Comment

What is carnatic music?

Comment

It is the classical music of Southern India. The basic form is a monophonic song with improvised variations. This is one of the world's oldest & richest musical traditions. Lyrics in Carnatic music are largely devotional; most of the songs are addressed to the Hindu deities.
                  Megrisoft Team Member
                  Search India

Comment

thank you very much. what language is it sung in, tamil or malaylam? those are the only two southern languages i know.

it is strange that a young person from the west is son interested in indian music, while young indians are interested in western music.

Comment

k k listen. There are many type of western music. One is Indian made. Like the new Indian type music or rap.

Another is totally done by foreigners.

I like to listen to any type of music provided it is done by an Indian and doesn't suck. I like songs from old movies too.

But I dont' like rap done by people over here. They are full of swearing and stuff.

Overall I like Indian musics. Any type of Indian music.

Comment

Carnatic music is one of the encient music forms of India. It is belived to be originated from Tanjaoor,in the state of tamil Nadu.

there are no written form of this music.It is embeded in the ears( The meaning of Carnataka sangeet)

Comment

If they can't make Indian music good then whats the point. They made Kajra re good and everyone listens to it. If Indian music is made same old boring type then no one will obviously listen to it.

Comment

Pls anybody tell me the meaning of

"1 glasse 2 glasse 4".by hard kaur.

Comment

Working...
                            X