India zooms past China in car exports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India zooms past China in car exports

NEW DELHI: Here’s where the dragon will have to dig its heels. China’s car market may be double that of India, but when it comes to exports, it clearly lags behind. China’s auto exports doubled to 340,000 units in 2006 but were less than half of India’s total vehicle export tally of 970,620 units (including two- and three-wheelers). Sedan exports tripled to 90,000 units in China but fell far short of India’s 191,723-unit passenger vehicle export tally.

According to SIAM statistics, India’s passenger vehicle exports, dominated by cars, quadrupled from 46,028 units in 2001 to 164,965 units in 2004, hitting 171,608 units in 2005. India’s total export CAGR in the 01-06 period was 41.72% with cars and jeeps clocking 33%. China’s total vehicle exports, on the other hand, jumped 120% from 78,000 units in 2004 to 173,000 units in 2005. In terms of value, China’s vehicle exports have hit $1.58 billion while India’s tally is expected to be $2.8 billion, up from $2.25 billion clocked in 2005. Just passenger vehicle exports from India (mostly cars and some jeeps) were worth an estimated $1.4 million (i think it should be billion) in 2006.

Analysts say the reason behind the skew lies in China’s predominant position in parts exports as opposed to vehicle exports.

China exports ten times more in value terms of components than India does as global companies use the Chinese scale to source for developed markets. However, China's domestic appetite for vehicles is so big, that the local scale is pretty much consumed locally.

Says Arindam Bhattacharya of BCG: “An overwhelming majority of India’s vehicle exports comprise small cars and motorcycles. In both these markets, India is the second largest player, has excellent quality, competitive costs and enough scale. And in both these markets, India’s cost per unit is very competitive.

Small cars are just beginning to pick up in China as global players work on compact models. In contrast, China’s component scale and investments are very high so they are competitive in that segment. And even though China is the biggest motorcycle market, individual players don’t have scale because the market is fragmented.”

India’s auto parts exports too have been on a growth trot with total cumulative parts exports being worth Rs 6280 crore in the fiscal 2004-2005 which is expected to touch Rs 9700 crore in 2006, as per data collated by ACMA.

As for China, its total exports (vehicles and parts) reached $10.9 billion in 2005, up 34%. India's auto parts have been growing at a CAGR of 39% in the past three years helping the export tally to grow from the Rs 2623 crore clocked in 2001-2002. Parts exports are expected to be up by nearly 54% in 2005-06. India's imports are growing at the CAGR of 39% in the past five years and are expected to touch Rs 8450 crore.

__________________________________________________ __________

first it was the IT sector, then telecom sector (new additions per month, which is close to 7million/month), now it is the auto sector (not to forget the aggressive M&As by auto component manufactures in the europe).

i think this also has to do with the duty cut to 16% for the smaller cars, and if this fig was to come done to 8% (also for the 2-3 wheelers), and in case of the bigger cars to 16%, then india could well turn out to be a manufacturing hub for cars/jeeps/commercial vehicles/2-3 wheelers, for the biggest names in the international market as we already know the huge investments that have been committed by certain players already. a revolution in-waiting i guess.

for all those sceptics who think it will be not possibble for india to over take china - they need a rethinking.

the future will see india leading in certain sectors and same will be the case for china, and as was thought that there will be a clear cut dominance by the chinese, that is all a total farce.
    I 'll show u a new world!

India is way ahead of China in cars. India has more indigeniously built cars. India manufactures more cars then China and India is techonologically more advanced then China in cars.

Indian brand cars

Tata
    Mahindra
    Hindustan Motors

Tata and Mahindra are exported all over world.

I would like to know about some Chinese company cars.

Some info will be appreciated by some all knowing chinese people in this site.

Comment

OR computers, watches, mobile phones, television or anything else for that matter

i guess all china makes is the 25 cents toilet paper i buy at walmart...haha

Comment

Yup China can only make toilet papers and freaking 5 dollar shirt which rips off within 2 days. THey can't even make quality items.

Comment

Two frogs sitting at the bottom of a well and talking about the universe .

Comment

so much for arguments against facts

Comment

Originally posted by Agra
              Two frogs sitting at the bottom of a well and talking about the universe .
              I don't understand what you mean dude. Can you explain?

Comment

Below are some pictures of JunJie Chinese car($12,000USD), please show indianTata cars

Comment

Here are some Indian cars. This is Tata Indica

Comment

Some new model Tata Indigo

old model tata indigo

This is Indian SUV Mahindra Scorpio

Comment

Originally posted by India1989
                      Yup China can only make toilet papers and freaking 5 dollar shirt which rips off within 2 days. THey can't even make quality items.
                      Check the items in the computer you are using.
                      I am sure more than 80% of them are made in China.

Just wondering how come you can write your post if they are not reliable products???

Comment

2005, india export 970,620 units of vehicles, including two- and three-wheelers.
                        --------------------
                        hahahha....I just notice one funny thing.
                        Three wheeler, what the hell is it?
                        Is it that kind of ugly and cheapest car appeared in China twenty years ago and now disappears?
                        Sorry, man , we Chinese refuses to build this kind of car.
                        Another thing I need to mention is that China is currently the 3rd largest auto-producer in the world, only after U.S and Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by googleabcd
                          2005, india export 970,620 units of vehicles, including two- and three-wheelers.
                          --------------------
                          hahahha....I just notice one funny thing.
                          Three wheeler, what the hell is it?
                          Is it that kind of ugly and cheapest car appeared in China twenty years ago and now disappears?
                          Sorry, man , we Chinese refuses to build this kind of car.
                          Another thing I need to mention is that China is currently the 3rd largest auto-producer in the world, only after U.S and Japan.
                          Well dude the prob is that India is not China and we don't produce ugly looking things. So you should understand that it only happens in China.

So we producing ugly looking vehicles is pretty much non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by googleabcd
                            Check the items in the computer you are using.
                            I am sure more than 80% of them are made in China.

Just wondering how come you can write your post if they are not reliable products???
                            thats what ur capable of...copying once some gives u a design. not even 1% of this computer is designed in china.

of course if u understand the difference between design and produced

Comment

Originally posted by India1989
                              Well dude the prob is that India is not China and we don't produce ugly looking things. So you should understand that it only happens in China.

So we producing ugly looking vehicles is pretty much non-existent.
                              India89..give up educating these chinese. they were born and fed on the milk of communism propaganda. all they see is red

they will never accept that despite their big mouth, not one quality product designed and manufactured in china is good enough for the outside world
                              all they are capable of is making things once the western designers order them to do so.

perhaps they are machine like after so many years of communism. lost the ability to think...

Comment

Working...
                              X