Arjun tank Finally Cancelled, Really Cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arjun tank Finally Cancelled, Really Cancelled

October 7, 2006: India has decided to relegate its Indian designed and built tank, the Arjun, to training duties, and will not put these tanks into mass production. Thus ends a three decade effort to create an Indian designed and built tank. The 35 Arjuns already built are too large (heavy and wide) for existing tank transporters. The Arjun is also considered too unreliable for combat. But for training purposes, they are adequate, so it's not a complete waste.

The government was reluctant to give up on the Arjun, as so many politicians had praised the project as a military and nationalistic success. But every time a prototype was put to the test, the results were disappointing. As has so often happened with other weapons projects, the Arjun is having problems with its electronics. In the last round of tests, it was the fire control system. But Arjun has also had problems with its engine, and that fact that its size and weight prevents it from being used with current tank transporters. The Defense Ministry could not bring itself to admit defeat, so all attempts to just cancel Arjun failed. Until now.

Six years ago, the situation became critical, because the army needed a new generation of tanks and the Arjun wasn't ready. So the army ordered 310 T-90 tanks from Russia, mainly to check them out. This was the beginning of the end for Arjun, that was supposed to be the successor to the Russian T-72, currently the first line Indian tank. The Defense Ministry still insisted that Arjun production would go forward. But the government engineers could not make Arjun work. There were also problems with using manufacturing technology, imported from Russia, to build components for Indian made T-72s, to build similar components for Arjun. About two thirds of the components in the Arjun and T-72 were interchangeable. But the technology transfer agreements with Russia only allowed India to manufacture these components for T-72s, not another tank design. The lawyers screwed up on this one, and Indian manufacturers were not able to design and build replacement parts that India could afford. The Arjun was going to cost more than imported T-90s.

Four years ago, desperate Ministry of Defense officials made plans to mount the turrets from the Arjuns on T-72 chassis, overcoming many of the construction problems. The Arjun chassis would then be used for a new Bhim self-propelled 155mm howitzers, with the South African Denel T-6 turret. The T-72 with the Arjun turret would be called Tank EX. The Denel turret proved to be too expensive, and too many components in the Arjun turret were still having problems, so this scheme was abandoned as well. At that point, the army began to refurbish some of its 1,700 T-72s, equipping 200 of them with additional armor (ERA), a new engine and upgraded electronics. The army began to look on the T-90 as its next generation tank, but it took four years for the Defense Ministry, and politicians, to admit that Arjun would not work.

Many of the problems with Arjun had to do with nothing more than government ineptitude. The Ministry of Defense was more interested in putting out press releases, about how India was becoming self-sufficient in tanks, than in attending to the technical details needed to make this happen. The Ministry of Defense crowd has done this sort of thing many times. Moreover, if it isn't incompetence screwing things up, then it's corruption. Cleaning up the Ministry of Defense, and all the politicians that get involved with it, is, so far, a problem without a solution.

India has decided to relegate its Indian designed and built tank, the Arjun, to training duties, and will not put these tanks into mass production Thus ends a three decade effort to create an Indian designed and built tank The 35 Arjuns already built a

somebody just claimed india is one of the top 5 military power of the world, hehe...
    what a pity, still cannot design and produce her own tank.
    wake up, indian ...

Comment

The Arjun is also considered too unreliable for combat. But for training purposes, they are adequate, so it's not a complete waste. ...

Milatary budget is allocated from our income tax & tanks are been created for tranning purpose only
      "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

Originally posted by snower
        somebody just claimed india is one of the top 5 military power of the world, hehe...
        what a pity, still cannot design and produce her own tank.
        wake up, indian ...

r u a sadist snower? or r u just so wretched in ur life that u can't help but take out ur frustrations on this forum? hehe...

here's something to keep u burning...

well today's war will not be won by tanks but missiles and nukes and india has plenty of them to knock the **** out of idiots who dare to attack us...
        I 'll show u a new world!

Comment

Originally posted by sunilkumar
          tanks are been created for tranning purpose only
          haha, that's funny. what a loser's excuse! 30 years of hard endeavour, just for training purpose, haha.

so congratulation! indian finally made some tanks for training. but remember, don't use them in a real battle, it cannot work in that places. you have to foreign one, haha. ...

indian, stop blah blah blah about world top 5 military power, make a workable tank first.

Comment

haha, that's funny. what a loser's excuse! 30 years of hard endeavour, just for training purpose, haha.

so congratulation! indian finally made some tanks for training. but remember, don't use them in a real battle, it cannot work in that places. you have to foreign one, haha. ...

indian, stop blah blah blah about world top 5 military power, make a workable tank first.
            hard endevour my friend is not this...high endevour is what scientists put to make india a power to reckon with in today's wordl....that which could not even stop india's scientific quest in the face of sanctions from all the countries including USA after its nuclear tests in the begining of this millenium..

see the result? now the same USA has realised India's defacto nuclear status by signing the historic deal for nuclear cooperation. You know what that means? That means a special status outside Non Proliferation Treaty. So, from now on, India is a official nuclear power in the league of others.

Why u think USA is not granting this status to Iran or N. Korea? Simple, because these countries don't have the responsible governence and future that India has.

So no matter how much fire u have in your demented ***, no matter how much u burn, India is on its way to challenge the hegemony of China in the region.

If thats too hard for u to digest, keep crying in pain baby..)

Comment

india has no chance to win a nuclear war over china.

china's land area is three times larger than india. even india has the same nuclear war capacity with china, it doomed to lose due to its heavy population density. let alone india has a long way to go to equalize china in term of nuclear capacity, it's a gap of 40 years. (china explodes her first A. bomb in 1964).

china never regard india a threat, because in india's long long history, it never win a war over a major world power. hehe...

Comment

india has no chance to win a nuclear war over china.

china's land area is three times larger than india. even india has the same nuclear war capacity with china, it doomed to lose due to its heavy population density. let alone india has a long way to go to equalize china in term of nuclear capacity, it's a gap of 40 years. (china explodes her first A. bomb in 1964).

china never regard india a threat, because in india's long long history, it never win a war over a major world power. hehe...
                i told u...ur knowledge is nonexistent...may be coz all ur life u lived in a rat hole...haha...india's first nuclear test was in 1974...just 27 years after independence...so once again...what u achieve in 4 decades we do in two...

well...just as ur knowledge is meagre ur high hopes of chinese supremacy are farce...this is not 1962 baby...that chinese flooded indian terrotories like a moth...if china dare to attack this time its doomed...

for us the targets are easier...remember that u invested so much in cities like beiging, shanghai? all it takes is a few missiles to bring down ur big cities...the farmers in ur villages are anyways eating shit...so is no need to touch them....india has no big cities with such heavy investments...so yes we will loose in terms of population but not before u ll be sent back to where u belong...

the opium growing slaves at the begining of this century...hahaha

Comment

There are so many densly populated area. or how is it possible that china will disperse her population in less populated area. Just Beijing or Shanghai are enough to break the backbone of China.
                  Remember my dear, it is not possible to use Nukes against a nuclear power. Kindly remember India exploded first nuke in 1974. So it has enough nukes to use against any power.
                  So my dear, it is not possible to use Nukes against any other nation who has nuclear bombs.
                  I regard chinese people as people of understanding. but you are just disappointing me.
                  As for Arjuna Tanks, I will say it is complete wastage and negligence on the part of the officials which were involved in making it. The Govt. machinery has just to be answerable to the public.
                  Last edited by Puneet Sood; 10-10-2006, 08:12 PM. Reason: Some changes
                  Don’t worry, Be happy

Comment

Puneet Sood ,

yes I agree with you that nuclear weapons has no use against another nuclear power. some indian guy are just showing off its small nuclear tooth to china, so I need to remind him something.

india should give up her Arjun project long time ago, don't plan beyond your capacity. and I heard indian goverment has another big big plan: to send man to the moon. . be wise, please, I'm afraid this would be cancelled after another 30 years of frustration.

Comment

Puneet Sood ,

yes I agree with you that nuclear weapons has no use against another nuclear power. some indian guy are just showing off its small nuclear tooth to china, so I need to remind him something.

india should give up her Arjun project long time ago, don't plan beyond your capacity. and I heard indian goverment has another big big plan: to send man to the moon. . be wise, please, I'm afraid this would be cancelled after another 30 years of frustration.
                      some indian guy ( me was trying to tell some chinese idiot to get out of his inferiority complex. whenever there is a thread about india anywhere some chinese idiot can't help putting his big foot in his mouth by saying something out of context

as for the moon space plan....the moron has probably no idea that india already is in the league of nations placing its own satellites in geo centric orbit...he has probably not even heard of GSLV and INSAT....

i am sure he doesn't represent china...chinese people are not stupid like him..he appears to me to be just one frustrated, negative, pessimist failure in life with no education and worse no brain...hahahaa

well it is my duty to bring the light of truth to such idiots and i m just fullfilling it...)

since the idiot was focussing on one failure of india...the arjun tank...i showed him research in other area is state of the art...well for no use...coz as is correctly said...its no use to try to instill brain in a person who has fodder inside...hehe
                      Last edited by Neo; 10-10-2006, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Snower we dont need nuclear bombs to fight china. Because there are wise people out there too. So we will never get into yet another war.

And as far as people like you are concerned there are mental asylums in both the countries. So if u didnt find a home in china. Welcome to India. We will find u the best mental asylum and all ur indian freinds including myself will do this job for u. Promise.

Comment

Hi,everyone.
                          i am wendy.
                          we are shenzhen haiju tech co,ltd. we specialized in led displays of China over ten years.we can offer led display,led displays modules and led display cabinets with a low price.the products can be produced according to ur requst. please coatact me as soon as possible if u are intrested in our produts and our company. u will find it is not a waste of time!tel:86-0755-26782373 fax:86-0755-86083100 msn:tang_fei_fei@hotmail.com http://www.hjled.com

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                            ... i showed him research in other area is state of the art...well
                            eh? state of art? give me a break, nothing in india is in state of art .

need i remind you the recent failure of Agni-III missile test? hehe, your long-range missile crashed into the Bay of Bengal. is this what you mentioned "state of art " ?

hit beijing or shanghai? then you need to wait, right now, you don't have that ability. but china has the ability to destroy new dehli, and furthermore, china don't need long-range missile for this job, launched from tibet, a short-range (500-800 km) missile suffice the job, hehe. see, this is an unbalanced war

please don't dream to counter china, you guys need to make a tank first, and handle your relationship with pakistan. and then, treat your poor people good, don't let farmers suicide in desperation.

Comment

eh? state of art? give me a break, nothing in india is in state of art .
                              This coming from the mouth of a chinese? haha...all u make is copy cat goods.. cheap electronics that last 2 days...coby...nike888...see the postings on this forum itself for the fake industry run by you ...all ur capable of is copying...at least we do original stuff..
                              need i remind u that the father of ur space program Qian Xuesen was a spy who after stealing in the USA ran to communist china to develop copies? haha
                              without the help of soviet union u would still be flying kites..not satellites...
                              need i remind you the recent failure of Agni-III missile test? hehe, your long-range missile crashed into the Bay of Bengal. is this what you mentioned "state of art " ?
                              my country publicises even failures...is a democracy ...not a secretive society...remember how ur government hid the news of SARS outbreak from the rest of the world? u have an answer to that?
                              even then just search on the net for chinese space programs failures...u ll find plenty of results...hahaha...it seems be it shoes or space vehicles chinese can't make copies of either correctly...hahaha

hit beijing or shanghai? then you need to wait, right now, you don't have that ability. but china has the ability to destroy new dehli, and furthermore, china don't need long-range missile for this job, launched from tibet, a short-range (500-800 km) missile suffice the job, hehe. see, this is an unbalanced war
                              india is not new delhi centric idiot..u miss the point...india is a federal structure...is not like communist rat hole..if we destroy the polit bureau...all the rats will die in chaos coz they will not know what to do...hahaha
                              and we don't need to wait to hit beijing or shanghai...first of all ur government is not foolish to attempt any shit against india...and if someday it is because of some idiots like u ( u ll have to wait till next life for that..haha) ...we will show u how it is to mess with us...u ll eat ur own shit...hehe

please don't dream to counter china, you guys need to make a tank first, and handle your relationship with pakistan. and then, treat your poor people good, don't let farmers suicide in desperation.
                              no one gives a shit on china here..trust me...its only some inferiority complex suffering retards like u who jump in to give their stupid opinions on indian forums...have u ever seen an indian on a chinese forum? hahaha
                              if we have to compete we will compete with civilised people not herds of sheeps reared by the shepherd Mao..and his goons...hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X