Wish To Learn About Indian Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish To Learn About Indian Culture

Hello! My name is Paige and I am -not- from India, nor is anyone from my family. I am just ever so in love with and interested in the culture. I was hoping that perhaps someone would be willing to teach me about women's clothing, accessories, jewelry, etc... both traditional and modern? I know very little about things like the sari, the tikka, etc... I would love to know what things are called, how they are worn, and when. I have one specific question above all else. What is the name of the headpiece I see in some photos? Not the singular hanging tikka, but a sort of headband like in these images?

Buy traditional Indian ethnic wear dresses online. Shop Sarees, Salwar Kameez, Anarkali Suits, Lehenga, Sherwanis and more from Cbazaar. Discount sale with worldwide express shipping.

I would love to become a sort of student in the beauty that is Indian culture, and would be honored if anyone would be able to take some time out to teach me, be it here or via email.

Thank you all for your time.

Paige

The type of jewellery worn by actresses in those photographs is called Kundan jewellery, I think its mostly from South India and the headpeice that you have asked is a kundan type of tikka.

Comment

Originally posted by Paige
      Hello! My name is Paige and I am -not- from India, nor is anyone from my family.
      You seem very emphatic about you NOT being from India.
      OK,so where you from Paige?

If you are very,very nice to me I can tell you lots and lots of things about sarees and cholis,particularly the cholis.

Comment

I am to, may I ask why I was like born fasinated with India

Comment

India is so colourful land that one cannot help been fasinated by it.
          IndiaBook Sr Editor and Reviewer
          IndiaBook is like my child whom I want to nuture till perfection.It is a dream of success which will be made reality soon.

Comment

HI PAIGE
            it so good to know that u r so much in love with our country.The jewellary u r asking bout in the pictures here---is called as {maangtikka}as in our national language.yeah its like tikka only,which basically comes in form of jewellary n not stickers,n is worn right into the middle of our forhead ---also having the pinup stlye back with a string so that it can be pin up into our hairs.
            As far as wearing sari is concerned---well there r soooo many ways of it.coz in our country apart from fashion ;each customs has different styles.
            lemme know.....things u wanna know bout india!

Comment

Hello Paige

where are you from?

Do you know how to speak hindi?

If yes Then Bollywood is the shortcut to learn Indian cultures and i mean by good Indian movies not some of the latest movies which are just copied from somewhere and so much vulgarioty is shown.

Comment

I am an american who is also very intrigued by your very rich culture..I had a friend that I lost track of that was of Indian descent, and since then I have been fascinated by the traditions, food and history. I wish now I had retained the very small bit of Hindi he had taght me..
                In particular I have grown very interested in mehndi..I think it is beautiful and mysterious.
                I would like to have it done for my wedding (whenever that day may be )
                I would like to know a bit more about the history, the meanings of different designs and what religious/spiritual meaning it has.
                Thank you for your responses!
                ~a~

Comment

Indian dress material

Dear Paige,
                  Its nice to learn that u are so much interested in our culture.

I would like to tell u about few type of dresses which are worn by Punjabi people.

Lenhga - choli is a dress which is like to be worn by women on functions and brides on their wedding.It consists of a big skirt stitched using huge yarn with embroidery work and beads decorated over it to make it beautiful.
                  It is worn with a top and dupatta decorated with zari.

Earlier, these were worn by royal people but their dresses were embedded with jewels and precious gems and stones.

A saree, u know is one of the most liked dress of Indian women.

It consists of big yarn which is beautifully wrapped around after making beautiful plates.
                  Art of wearing a saree further beautify it.

Third type of dress is salwar- suit or churidar,

Punjabi women love to wear salwar-suits and churidars.

Salwar-suit consist of salwar with a shirt and dupatta.

“Phulkari” is equally liked by Punjabi people. It is a rather big dupatta with a thick embroidery using thread work. It is hand made.
                  Wearing of “phulkari” is considered as a shagun (a good omen) by punjabis at wedding or other occasions.

If u wann to know, more, then mail in!!!
                  Last edited by monica; 10-16-2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

The Culture In India Is Now Becoming Famous Worldwide

Comment

Wish To Join The Chat

Comment

Working...
                      X