Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN Search India censors words

Hello friends,

I found what seems like Internet censorship and clamping down on our freedom in India.
    I tried searching certain words on MSN Search and it refused to show me the results! Then I tried searching the same words but this time I set things up so that MSN would think I am from outside India (I used a proxy server) and it showed me the results!

See for yourself --

Below is the search from India--

And this is the search from outside India, specifically from Brazil--

So MSN Search is censoring our searches from India. This is outrageous! They don't want to follow principles of freedom and democracy. I wonder whether the Indian government has told them to do this or they are doing it on their own.

This mocks the democratic nature of India and we must protest against it!
    Last edited by EyeOnTheWall; 07-05-2006, 11:18 AM. Reason: adjusting paragraph placement

I think this is really outrageous. No Indian govt hasn't asked them to do anything or censor these things. but how did you search as if you are from brazil. Well i don't know but this is not supposed to happen.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, my computer was under repair.

You see, I used a proxy server from Brazil to fool MSN Search into thinking I am searching from Brazil. You can read about proxy servers on http://www.proxy4free.com

Really, this sort of thing is outrageous. They should give a choice for adults to decide and not impose things on them. Today they are censoring certain words. Tomorrow they might start censoring things critical of the government! They are trying to turn India into China!

Comment

Well this is stupid. Why is the censoring going against India. Well we can't do much about it. Well is that the only site or even google does censoring. If MSN is the only site then just don't use MSN. Forget them. Use google. MSN will lose more then 100 of millions of users.

Comment

No google shows everything fine till now. My fear is if this is allowed to go unchecked then someday google might also start doing it. Google was the first international search engine to censor things in China.

What we can do about it is raise awareness so that people get to know about the suppression of freedom in India by MSN Search. And as more and more people know about it and don't use it, they might change their behaviour. I am trying to do my bit.

Comment

Yeah we can raise awareness on this issue. We can inform everyone or let everyone know about whats going on then we can take some action of what MSN is doing.

Comment

Working...
            X