Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian culture and women?

Hello!

I’m new here, and I’m sure you get posts like this a lot so I hope mine isn’t too irritating. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

I recently transferred to a new department in my company that outsources some of their work to India. I work with a wonderful group of people there and I may get the opportunity, sometime in the future, to travel to their offices there.

Firstly, and although this isn't specific to Indian women's issues, I am hoping someone might be able to suggest a good book or books about Indian culture and history, both in case I travel there and also so that I can learn more about the culture of the people I work with (south/southeastern India).

Onto the questions I have that are more pertinent to this forum:

I work with many people who have had been lucky enough to travel to India, but I don’t want to seem too nosy or eager so I haven’t questioned them much about their trip(s). I have heard bits and peices however, and am very curious.

One person I recently spoke to mentioned that outside of work, the only people he went out with were the men. I was surprised and a bit disappointed by this; I was really hoping that my coworkers there would take me out and show me around, but since I am female I’m not sure if it either wouldn’t happen at all, or if I would only go out with the women that work there (all of whom are of course very nice, but there are a lot of guys there that I would like to get to know better as well). I was surprised also because there seems to be complete equality in the workplace there - a lot of higher-ups there are women.

(I would like to add that I’m not making a judgment here, and I certainly understand that there are cultural differences and that they may have more traditional gender divisions than what I am used to, at least when socializing).

Now, before anyone points it out I know I would be there to work, not socialize - I would be working a lot too (and long hours). But I also think it will be a really cool opportunity to learn about another culture, one I am not very familiar with, and build a stronger bond with the people I work with there. They seem like a really nice and fun group.

Additionally, I heard that there are some laws against women going out after dark? I heard some talk about this but again, I didn’t want to seem nosy and I didn’t want to sound like I was judging; I was surprised, but really more curious than anything.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help me overcome my ignorance. I hope it’s okay to post any more questions I might have if I think of anything.

Ok I understand your problems. Now the main thing is that you want to go out with guys too. There guys go out with girls too but they have lots of friends who are boys too. Basically in India the gay thingy is not much popular.

Can you please state your main problem? I would love to help you.

I am here to help you.
    Ask away any questions you want me to answer.

Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for responding to my post. I apologize for not being more clear - I am a straight female. I guess mostly I was wondering what gender dynamics are like in India culture. For example, is it unusual for men and women to socialize together outside of work? Or would it be considered inappropriate for example, if a married woman was socializing with a group of mostly single people and men without her husband? (The reason I ask that last question is that it occurred to me that I think many of my female coworkers are married, but not as many of the men are).

Comment

Hi,
        Well your question can have multiple answer depending on which part you are living and what type of people you are mixing with. In big cities basically it is not unusual for unmarried men and women to socialize together.
        Neither it is in towns or suburbs. But there are some conservative places in remote areas in Bihar or some other places were it is not considered good.

The place you are living is South India. Well people are a bit conservative. But I think you can intermingle with unmarried men and women.

Now the question you did.
        Or would it be considered inappropriate for example, if a married woman was socializing with a group of mostly single people and men without her husband? (The reason I ask that last question is that it occurred to me that I think many of my female coworkers are married, but not as many of the men are).
        It depends on what kind of intermingling you do. what kind of person you are intermingling with. If the person is more open minded then he won't mind. Like me. Though I am not married. Then What way you are mixing. Like is it too personal or just like a friend or asking some questions. Socializing like going out may not be considered appropriate. It won't be.
        But just talking or having a bit fun won't affect much.

ANy more questions or doubts please ask me.

Comment

Working...
        X