Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello,everyone, i'm new here:)

i'm a boy from china,
    i'd like to make friends,and i like travel very much.
    Last edited by torry; 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM.

i hope we can become friends, now i'll tell you a Chinese story

Here is a Chinese ancient story, wish you will like it :

To Draw a Snake and Add on Feet

During the Warring States Period, there lived in the kingdom of Ch'u a temple caretaker who

gave to the people who worked for him a pitcher of wine. But there were a lot of workers and

not much wine, and if they were to split it evenly among themselves, nobody would get very

much. Finally, one worker suggested that they each draw a snake in the dirt, and whoever

finished first would get the wine. So they all began to draw, and the worker who finished

first picked up the wine, preparing to drink. But noticing that others still hadn't

finished, he continued to draw, boasting; "I can even give my snake feet!" Before he could

finish, however, a second person finished his snake, and immediately grabbed the wine away

from the first person, saying, "Snakes don't have feet; how can you add feet to yours?" And

the worker who had begun drawing the feet looked sadly on as his friend finished the wine.

This idiom "to draw a snake and add on feet" has now come to mean that taking extra measures

after one has already satisfactorily completed a task, or adding extra description after one

has already explained oneself clearly, is harmful rather than beneficial.
    (From www.foreignercn.com)

Comment

Working...
    X