Relevance of religion in today world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relevance of religion in today world

Is religion relevant in todays world?? When most of us could not indentify our religion with the realities of life.

Having being born in the UK to a non religious family who regards facts and science as reality and therefore religion was something that was laughed at, I feel I can answer this question with experience.

There was a point in my life where a 'Born again Bible lead' Christian actually had a series of visions of insight into areas of my life which needed attention. (Vision etc and this form of Christianity is actually what is described in Bible. visions are gifts of the Holy Spirit as covered in 1 Corinthians)

At the time I was into all kind of wrong and illegal things as many people into days time are. As a result of these visoins I began to look at religion with a differant light as there was non reasonable explanation as to how these events could have happened.
    I started reading the Bible (and other religious books) as a means to try and understand what its all about. Through reading the Bible I applied many of the docurings and teachings to my life which improved and even impacted other members of my family. Through walking this differant lifestyle I found a greater contentment and a an overall happiness. I still make mistakes in life as like everyone else I am human, but I do make a consuess dissission to be honest and hard working etc.

So therefore I do see the importance of a true religion. I also now have the belief that there is a God who is constantly watching the things we do, which puts a fear into me if I walk a wicked or decietful lifestyle.
    I hope that one day I can look back over my life free from guilt.
    Upreh Sahreh Tchahtcheh Romahni Prahla ta Phenya!! Rise all true Rommany Brothers and sisters Dev'lesa God be with you

Comment

So should we be honest and live a morally correct life for the fear of God, or simply on the doctrine that somebody is watching us all the time and he will punish us or reward us.

Or should there be a rational thinking that we as human race can live a happy and meaningful life only if we work together and proctect each others interest. And its love that bonds us together and not religion which of course can be interpreted incorrectly as we have seen innumerable acts of barbarism in the name of religion throughout human history.

Comment

I personally think that if our belief is real as in we actually believe there is a God and not just a following of a religion then the whole thing falls in as one.

I feel that as humans we are all too often able to fall to tempations and weekness to wrong doing if left to our own strengths.

Deep down we all know right and wrong and have the ability to love or be cruel. It is built in to us from birth. It doesn't matter what language or enviroment we grow up in whether it be with many or whether we are isolated, we all understand concience, guilt, laughter, tears etc .
        With true love, we need no other commandments / laws.
        Upreh Sahreh Tchahtcheh Romahni Prahla ta Phenya!! Rise all true Rommany Brothers and sisters Dev'lesa God be with you

Comment

Every religion defines God as sum total of all that is good and moral. And we as humans have the ability to distinguish between good and bad. And as all relgions say that god is within us.

Then do we need to go to places of worship or is it a better idea to practise what our ability to judge right, tells us. If at all u believe in god should it be sought within u or somewhere else?

And whats the use of practising rituals and systems when there are millions of rituals practised in different religions and there is no way to know which is the right custom.

We simply believe that our religion is correct just because we r born as hindu or muslim or christian or sikh. And then there r sub castes and many more differentiations

So isnt it the best idea to be just a good human.

Comment

I was born an athiest

All through the Christian Bible, God is in you and with you, so no, it is not best to seek Him in a place of worship but within your own walk in life.

Worship is only designed for mankind as a place to seek communion and strengthening against those that may mislead of damage you. A place of worship is for fellowship to help keep you on the righteous path. That and also a place to show gratitude and thankfullness.

Comment

Originally posted by rohit khaitan
              So should we be honest and live a morally correct life for the fear of God, or simply on the doctrine that somebody is watching us all the time and he will punish us or reward us.

Or should there be a rational thinking that we as human race can live a happy and meaningful life only if we work together and proctect each others interest. And its love that bonds us together and not religion which of course can be interpreted incorrectly as we have seen innumerable acts of barbarism in the name of religion throughout human history.

if u are following the rational way of thinking u are already doing 3/4th of what god asked us to do. and the rest comes the fear of god and following his other commandements.
              miqsh
              EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Comment

i think we all believe god because god is a complete power we all fear of him because we all know he is seeing what we are doing and those people who doesn,t belive in god also start beliveing when they saw that now there is no way out no 1 could help him than he think about him and pray for help it,s a human nature in good times we forget him but in bad times cry for help

Comment

Its not that you have to live in fear of god. You are not a ghost or something that you have to live in fear of god. You only have to just think that there's always someone who's on your side. That's when god comes. He will always be on everyone's side. He will always do something for the persons own good.

Even if you are harmed and blame it on god he does it just to realize your mistake so that you don't hurt even badly in future. And yeah everyone has to die. YOu can't blame it on god. If everyone lived in this world think what would have happened. It would be chaos.

To make a small earring you need a person to do it. How can such a huge universe be made by no one. Someone must be responsible in making it.

Comment

Originally posted by mishq
                    if u are following the rational way of thinking u are already doing 3/4th of what god asked us to do. and the rest comes the fear of god and following his other commandements.

If you say the rational ways are 3/4th then for the rest 1/4th how do u know whats are the commandments of the supreme power?? Now please don t tell me that Geeta or Quran or Bible shows the path and all that. All are contradictory to each other in many ways. And u cannot possibly follow all three. So going by that theory you are doomed to be in hell.
                    And why do u have to fear God? I think if there is anything called god its love, and negative traits like hatred and fear cant be God.

And soumo if man creates a needle and god created man and the earth coz someone has to be there to create. Then who created god and god's god???

Any ways my original question was not whether god exists or not, it was whether we need a religion in todays world???

Comment

One point I'd like to make is that there are two types of fear.
                      The first is fear in a scared or frightened way,
                      the second is fear in a respectful or an acknowledging way.

The second is like picture having a big, strong powerful father with a strong deep voice and a large powerful frame. Although he is big and powerful, he is also fair and loving in his manner, believing greatly in fairness and justice. If however a wrong or injustice is done then he is uncompromising in his attitude and judgement (if he was compromising and bent the rules, then wouldn't this make him out to be a liar?) and although he hates it to have to face the problem, he is intimidating by his powerful presence, and you know he will deal with the situation for the sake of justice and order.
                      he is slow to anger and is loving and does show much grace. although he hates to adress the wrongful ways he punishes for the sake of others (and hopefully ourselves)
                      Although you love and cherish him as a father and always feel safe with him as your gaurdian, you still have a rooted respect and acknowledgement of his power, which is something you would fear to cross. Not because you are frightened, but his presence is enpowering.

To sit and live in fear as in frightened way is wrong as he is loving and compassionate and love you as a child.
                      Hope I've kinda made sense

Comment

Your answer was quiet convincing tsiago. But why do we seek this father out there and not within us.

All religions say god lives in you. Yet every religion tells u a place to go and find him. All religions show u a path to reach him. But should not we seek our own path that leads us to our higher selves.

Do u really believe he lives out there somewhere. i believe God is simply a personification of our own higher selves with greater values.

Why do we follow religions preachers who are so often involved in politics and corruption. Through out human history there have been popes, preists, pandits and mullahs who have misguided people.

For eg. for a long time many religious leaders said that earth is flat. No. of religions still do not believe in equal position for women in society. Lots of religions still preach killing of animals and sacrifices on a particular day. There are religions that claim that people who practise their theories are greater humans and all. Millions of people get killed across the globe each year in the name of religion.

So do we really need religion today? Or a time has come for us to evolve one religion for the whole world based on the realities and facts that we face today.

Comment

I was born and brought up in Ahmedabad In Hindu Brahmin Family... but my Parent are from the Land of GOD RAM (i.e Avadh) so what were the custom of that land, I know and can justify that in proper way... but been in Ahmedabad I had seen communal riots.... So I know reality that, religion can make people mad and history say smart ruler had always used religion to rule his state

I can post jokes against all god.....but that can hurt sentiment of many people....

Nobody has seen GOD.

Long time back there were Human being called as RAM, Prophet, Jesus, Guru Nanak, Buddha, Mahavir Jain etc. they set some Rules & good moral value for their society... so with the passage of time people had started worshiping them.

People had already started worshiping Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar & Mahatma Gandhi..... That never means they were god..... But in long run few people will going to recognize them as GOD.

Ram, Prophet, Jesus etc. all were correct at their time...

But this is also true that every thing changes with passage of time & nothing is static... so as per today environment & circumstances their (i.e. RAM, Prophet, Jesus etc.) thought May not satisfy many people...

It is foolishness to believe any thing blindly...

The Ultimate truth is that; we have to believe in GOD... So do me.

G-Generator
                          O-Operator
                          D-Destroyer

I don't have any other choice other than believing in God b'coz some unseen super natural power exists for which we human being doesn’t have any answer... So we called it as GOD.

Advantage is that ….If we trust in god we get strength and hope to live...

But at the same time this is also true that....I don't want to be fooled by any religion as God is one...

"The link between man & god is FAITH. That is all that keeps things moving & alive" <-- BY: - Mr. A.P.J Kalam (President of India).

Religion is from region, every land (country) has its own set of Rules (i.e. law), the people of that land have to follow law which is called their religion (i.e. DHARM).

All the rules were made by considering future & for betterment of that society, but at the same time in every ear there were & will be some people who are going to oppose rules ....So scope of improvement in rules are always there...We should also not forget that winner are always correct & they write history...

Rohit you had asked one Question Who Created GOD? For this also people don't have any answer...

But as per my opinion I can say GOD is being created by human being...

Whatever good we can take from any religion we should take... coz religion was created by people like us, and with the passage of time every thing changes. Things which are good today for society may not be good for coming generation. So we should be positive thinker and flexible in our views and thought we should now be static.

I think God was made by human being to civilize the society... See other animal do they believe in god? We don't know.

Human being are intelligent so they can think beyond the reality, there imagination power and body structure is good to rule the earth, you know brain of elephant is to big his memory is more better than human being but his body structure is limitation for him to rule this earth, you can also see any bird they can turn there neck from front to back (360 degree) they can fly but they don’t have brain like us and body like us, So human being is the only one who created GOD..... its our believe that there is some thing super natural which runs this universe we called this super natural thing as god....

Believe and Faith which connect human being with GOD.

There is nothing Like GOOD or BAD, Moral or Immoral, Heaven or Hell this all are our (i.e. human being) own made belief.

See Thing's which is good for me it’s not necessary that can be good for others.
                          Duties which I consider to be morally correct but that may be considered as immoral act for others.

To do our work without hurting anyone (physically or mentally) for the benefits of everyone is the perfect way to meet GOD.

It's me who Know his GOD
                          Sunilkumar
                          Last edited by sunilkumar; 09-15-2006, 06:02 PM.
                          "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

So my question still remains the same. Do we need religions that were written or practised or preached hundreds of years back, in todays world??

Or should we rewrite a new religion for the entire human society. A religion that suits our needs of the times.

There are some truths that never change with time. For eg. honesty, hard work, intelligence, equality, a sense of duty are necessary elements for any human society. We can accept these never changing truths from all religions and discard the rest that is not relevant in todays world.

Comment

Rohit In My Opinion We need to know Religion which was Practice 100s year back, to Rewrite new religion for the entire human society as per todays environment. But don't forget that every region on this earth is different so their current requirement are also different.

Yea this is also correct....."There are some truths that never change with time. For eg. honesty, hard work, intelligence, equality, a sense of duty are necessary elements for any human society. We can accept these never changing truths from all religions and discard the rest that is not relevant in todays world"
                              "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

Working...
                              X