India-U.S. ties grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India-U.S. ties grow

WASHINGTON, DC, United States (UPI) -- Hopes remain high that President Bush`s visit to India next week will further boost strategic ties, despite growing U.S. calls for India to separate its civilian and military nuclear programs.

President Bush Wednesday renewed his pressure on New Delhi to act on the issue. However, the president made his call in the context of an upbeat address delivered to the Asia Society that focused on the positive aspects of growing economic and strategic ties between the world`s two largest democratic and English-speaking nations.

The president sought to defuse growing protectionist sentiments in the United States by telling the American people that they should not fear U.S. jobs going to India. As long as American companies remained competitive, growing trade ties would mean more jobs for U.S. workers and farmers, he said.

The president praised the rapidly growing trade ties and cooperation between the United States and India in the areas of agriculture, business and energy. And he called for 'patience from both our countries' in implementing the far-reaching civilian nuclear technology agreement that he reached with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in July 2005.

'This is not an easy decision for India, nor is it an easy decision for the United States,' Bush said. 'Implementing this agreement will take patience from both our countries.'

The agreement has been criticized by anti-nuclear and anti-nuclear proliferation activists in the United States for allegedly failing to force India to separate its civilian and military nuclear programs.

Bush said he would continue to encourage India to create what he called a credible, transparent and defensible plan to separate the two programs and to implement the anti-proliferation and security safeguards that some American activists and experts were calling for.

The president`s generally optimistic, upbeat tone has been mirrored by Indian officials preparing for the visit. On Tuesday, Ronan Sen, India`s ambassador to Washington, told an audience at the National Press Club, 'We are confident that during the forthcoming visit of President Bush to India, and in the months and years to come, the close partnership between India and the United States will continue to intensify and strengthen.'

Bush will be only the fifth U.S. president to visit New Delhi since India`s independence in 1947. His visit comes seven months after Singh last visited Washington.

Sen said that the recent frequency of summit meetings and bilateral exchanges has characterized a newer, 'multi-dimensional' relationship between the two countries.

'The First Lady and the President will find a warm welcome in a country where, notwithstanding a sometimes noisy minority, the predominant popular sentiment is for stronger partnership with the United States,' he said.

India is 'a country with one of the world`s oldest civilizations and one of the world`s youngest populations,' Sen said. It is the world`s largest democracy in terms of population.

Expectations are high for the visit to continue to build on important bilateral ties.

Bush is expected to sign a controversial civilian nuclear agreement with India during his trip in early March.

Sen highlighted converging security interests between the two nations, saying, 'Defense ties by their very nature are based on a relationship of mutual trust and long-term commitment.'

Last year India and the United States completed the Next Steps in Strategic Partnership initiative, a program designed to expand cooperation on civilian nuclear activities, civilian space programs, high technology trade and missile defense.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Indian Defense Minister Pranab Mukherjee also signed a 10-year defense framework document to provide for more technology sharing, intelligence and joint weapons production.

This agreement came 10 years after the United States and India signed an earlier defense treaty and seven years after India conducted its first wave of nuclear testing, inducing Washington to break-off the prior relationship.

'Democracies remain a prime target for terrorism and they are also the best defense against it,' said Sen. He emphasized the United States and Indian initiative to fight terrorism, saying that India has been 'bearing the brunt from our neighborhood,' for many years.

'We will continue to combat this dangerous phenomenon as long as it exists,' he said.

However, India has explicitly stated that it will not allow any third party, including the United States, to mediate in the country`s discourse with Pakistan over the disputed Kashmir region.

'India is not a city that can ever be a follower of another city, but we can be good, reliable, strategic partners,' said Sen.

'The forthcoming visit of President Bush is full of promise and will chart a course of promise for the future,' he said.
    As an American, I say this is a great move for the two countries. Both countries are the world's largest republics and speak English and this growing alliance will do wonder for both countries.

What do you think?

Well this tie can have both positive and negative points.

Like US constantly tells India to stop making nuclear weapons. this can weaken India.

They want to keep a watch on India's top secret weapon.

India might get more dependent on USA. THey might get all technology from there and might not have their own.

Comment

Originally posted by India1989
      Well this tie can have both positive and negative points.

Like US constantly tells India to stop making nuclear weapons. this can weaken India.

They want to keep a watch on India's top secret weapon.

India might get more dependent on USA. THey might get all technology from there and might not have their own.
      Yea I agree that India shouldn't listen to the American government about stop making nuclear weapons. In fact India1989, if you are really Indian you should write a letter to the prime minister and the president and tell them this (as a concerned citezan of course). BUT, also remember to tell them to still remain good friends with America and strengthen ties.

Comment

Yup i would but i doubt that the letter would reach the PM or whether he would read it or not.
        But i would still try.

Comment

Originally posted by India1989
          Yup i would but i doubt that the letter would reach the PM or whether he would read it or not.
          But i would still try.
          I'm not sure how it is in India, but here in the states if you write a letter to the president or government he will usually respond. Do give it a try, let your voice be heard.

Comment

Well the govt might receive millions of letter. so you know it might be a lot of hassle for them.

1 billion population. they might receive more you know.

Comment

Yes so but it isn't quite that simple first we must all have a common belief of the states but in seeing the our beliefs vary we must therefore settle for an unsettled opinion and make the US the mamoths and be dependent on them.

(indian)He said, he had heard that Americans are great and "most powerful" people who are helping "us", India and Indians. All the highly literate and "smart" people he knew in his neighbourhood were going to America, because they treat "us" with respect and kindness and have a "lot of money" to give. Seduced by capitalism? So be it. Indians have welcomed Soviet-time dignitaries from Bulganin to Gorbachev, goaded by painstaking efforts of governments in Delhi to orchestrate a welcome by smiling school-children waving flags of Indo-Russian bonhomie on either side of the roads.
              See America is a rich country it has power to control and motivate and manupulate and exploit anything with its cleverness so whatever it wants it will get.

rethinking among Pakistanis that was ignored by opportunistic undemocratic rulers for nearly four decades: why did we barter our independence during the Cold War to later suffer withdrawal symptoms? Why did we not foresee a time when our "special relationship" would be terminated and Washington will start pursuing the more logical policy of befriending the larger, stabler and economically promising India?
              But when it has taken out all the life from its resources it will leave it there and wait till it recouperates or dies.

First of all, the generation of Pakistanis that has come of youthful age today feels forlorn, jilted and swindled by opportunist America which literally used their country during the Cold War but discarded it like dispensable debris after 1991.
              and eventually move to the next.

This is in keeping with its long-term interests. For 40 years, by self-admission, Washington backed "the wrong horse" in South Asia.
              parasites, viruses and evils = DANGER

It would be more effective for all to write one letter to Bush explaining our thoughts and sentiments about him.

Cited Works
              =: http://www.worldpress.org/Asia/103.cfm#down

Comment

It was very thought provoking article.... yup i agree with the author of the article. India and USA are two largest democracies of the world and they should stand together or else communists and relegious extremism will destabilise the world.....

Comment

I was thinking contrarily, one country is for peace the other is for dominance.
                  Last edited by Omni; 02-26-2006, 02:37 AM.

Comment

As an Indian, I say this is a great move for the two countries.
                    For America India is a good market & software/Industries of India earn good money from usa...
                    Politically india and usa is more or less same.
                    In matter of nuclear deal usa must see the india's point of view coz india need more protection ....as terms of India and pakistan and India & china is not very good.... they are ok but not good...
                    USA support's Democracy so they must see the requirement of Democratic Indian ... India is the largest democratic country...
                    India Provide better brain to USA...
                    "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

Why does India keep doing stupid things like this. Im Indian btw and I know how ruthless and evil the US are to foreigners just ask our Indian US friends, India is my original country but I can't sit and watch while India gets taken advantage of politically, and politically India is not very good to say the truth.

I have a really bad feeling about this that words I can't explain in this forum because it would only be heard by a few.

Instead of thinking about it optimistically rather think about it for a moment logically and pessimistically, what are the worst cases?

Remember when India gave jobs to bangladesh inviting them with open arms into india now look what's happened and they still want more. If India gets corruption in the small scale then the same will hold true in the larger scale.

Also as Americans migrate there will be alot of diverse religions and cultures... Muslims will take more land...Christians will convert more Hindus at a faster rate than what Indians can produce, chinese will steal things and make it theirs...

Open your minds stop thinking small, HINDUSTAN could do better without that much or any cooperation, India has it all food, metals, bright people, weapons, math, logic, philosophy and so on, just need to organise, manage and maintain its infrastructure and the common being of Citizens - excluding the bangladeshis they have abused their role.

I read something it goes like the wise will not trust the inventor for he has the cleverness to be mischievious. so to Indians don't trust America!

Comment

American State aim at "Full-spectrum dominance"(google it) across the globe. According to their view point each nation state is either their friend or their enemy,theirs no mid way. Exploiative capitalism is what they export to every country. Either American Empire needs to be destroyed due to their internal contradictions("World system Theory",google it) or else we will have to align with them. Being a rebel in their eyes is not a good option.

My opinion : Controlled Capitalism and Liberalism will promote human development.

Comment

Working...
                        X