No announcement yet.

India’s candidate for the post of the Secretary General of the United Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India’s candidate for the post of the Secretary General of the United Nations

Shashi Tharoor, Author and senior UN official, will be the candidate for the UN secretary-general post after the term of Kofi Annan expires. Currently Shashi Tharoor is Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information and has led the Department of Public Information (DPI) since January 2001.

Born in London in 1956, Mr. Tharoor was educated in India and the United States, completing a PhD in 1978 at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, where he also earned two Master's degrees. The University of Puget Sound, United States awarded him the honorary degree of Doctor of Letters in International Affairs.

Since May 1978, Tharoor has worked for the United Nations. He served over 11 years with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, whose Singapore office he headed during the "boat people" crisis (SAJA).

October 1989 he was transferred to the peace-keeping staff at the United Nations Headquarters in New York (Shashi Tharoor 2). In this position, he served as Special Assistant to the Under-Secretary-General for Peace-keeping Operations.On January 1, 1997 Shashi Tharoor was appointed Executive Assistant to Secretary of the United Nations Kofi Annan

Do you think India will sucessful to gain this highest post of United Nation.
    Megrisoft Team Member
    Search India

Do you think India will sucessful to gain this highest post of United Nation.

Probably not. South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki Moon appears to be getting closer to the seat of UNGS. Two Permanent members of UN Security Council are believed to be opposing to Mr. Tharoor, because he is considered to be a UN insider who is an obstacle to a reform of the international organization. Without their endorsement to Mr. Tharoor, he is not going to be elected to UN General Secreatry.

I don't know how the Indian government is helping Mr. Tharoor's election, but the South Krean government officially announced the other day that it halted its bid for UN Security Council membership so that it could concentrate its efforts to back up Mr. Ban Ki Moon's election.

Xinhua
    ROK halts bid for UN Security Council

Indiatimes
    Mittal to add steel to Tharoor's UN campaign
    Last edited by Japanese daruma; 09-02-2006, 12:19 PM.

Comment

If sharoor doesn't get in then they have to give us a permanent seat with veto power in the United nations security council.

Comment

"If sharoor doesn't get in then they have to give us a permanent seat with veto power in the United nations security council."

hehe, to be in that seat, India has to be the winner of a real tough war. see the five nations in that seats, US, China, UK, France, Russia, all Major winner of the WWII. remember this , all significant political right are gained in war, no exceptions. because nobody wil share such a big right with you unless they admit and fear your power. India was just a colony during the WWII, how can india be qualified for one of that seats?

if india really want a seat, stop talk talk talk, do something to strengthen yourself.

Comment

India's legacy is non-violence. India gave the world the concept of non-violence, Buddhism and Gandhi. It's not a bloodthirsty warmonger like perhaps China.

Comment

Buddhism originated in indian, but already perished in its homeland. on the contrary, it flourish in china. because the spirit of Budha conform pefectly with chinese philosophy.

Comment

South Korea tries to buy votes for U.N. top job

A serious charge has been raised against South Korea's Ban Ki-Moon, who might be selected as the next Secretary General of the United Nations.

At a time when the United Nations' organizational integrity has been in question, and the need for regaining the public confidence in the integrity of the 38th floor at Turtle Bay is considered to be of high priority, the front runner in the race to replace Kofi Annan next year has been aggressively trying to buy votes in return for offering favorable financial aid and trade policy between South Korea and the current member nations of the U.N. Security Council.

His rivals have been complaining about South Korea's campaigning style for some time. But, at last, mainstream media have begun focusing on this issue.

The Times
              September 29, 2006
              Millions of dollars and a piano may put Korean in UN's top job
              Aid campaign is crucial in race to succeed Kofi Annan

Comment

if not a korean , we hope a thai could win that position. but not an indian. indian is too talkative, if he begin a talk, he would not finish it within 3 hours. that's really a suffer for the audiance. please help the UN representatives of the countries all around the world, please don't leave them suffer this horrible UN geneal secretary.

Comment

You are too annoying. I wish there was ignore option on this forum then I would have ignored you. Buddhism isn't there in China, it's there in Tibet which you invaded while Tibetans don't fight for independence from China using violence because they believe in non-violence.

India doesn't want UN Secy General seat anyway. It would reduce India's manuevreability in the UN. Only the Indian Prime Minister is pushing for an Indian Secy General while most of the country's political commentators and opinion makers are against it.
                  Last edited by observer; 10-04-2006, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Yet another attempt by snower to make us anti chinese

Comment

Originally posted by snower
                      Buddhism originated in indian, but already perished in its homeland. on the contrary, it flourish in china. because the spirit of Budha conform pefectly with chinese philosophy.
                      I can't help but laugh at your hypocrisy and foolishness. First you say that to be a security council permanent member war is the essential criterion and then you say spirit of Buddha conforms with chinese philosophy!! hahaha
                      someone has correctly said ignorance is bliss. Now i know why people like Mao are able to brainwash no brainers like you in billions.

Like many other nationalist may be you are living a life in dream. We have a saying in india "for a frog from the well, a lake is the ocean". Thats exactly suits you. With your narrow mindedness and self glorifying attitude you will never be able to see the light of reason and logic.

Comment

Originally posted by bhachoudhary
                        We have a saying in india "for a frog from the well, a lake is the ocean".
                        come on, this must be copied from china. chinese have a saying "for a frog live in a well, the sky is just the size of that well"s opening ". and by the way, this saying describs you perfectly. hehe.

just tell me. had indian won any war against major powers in the world in the history?

Comment

come on, this must be copied from china. chinese have a saying "for a frog live in a well, the sky is just the size of that well"s opening ". and by the way, this saying describs you perfectly. hehe.

just tell me. had indian won any war against major powers in the world in the history?
                          u don't get the point do you dumb brain? you talk of spirit of buddha and war at the same time. what nonsense are you made of!!
                          as for the war...what shit u achieved in WW2 ? Look at your size and the size of Japan. you were constantly ****ed by them in the sino-japanese war till the USA bombed japan and WW2 came to an end. You just reaped the benefit of being in a war where you had no fronts. Russia stopped germany for you and US did the same for japan. what did you do except managing to hold off japan? haha...so much for the great nation...

Comment

at least we hold japan. japan occupied half of china but chinese goverment did not surrender. we fought 14 years with japan, from 1931 to 1945, and sacrified 25 million people. this is the spirit of chinese. spirit of buddha and war do not conflict. we love peace, but if somebody use brutal force against us, we would pay back with equal brutal force. that's why chinese maintain most of its sovereignty during the "golden time" of west colonizations.

now tell me, why was india colonized by british for as long as 250 years?

Comment

at least we hold japan. japan occupied half of china but chinese goverment did not surrender. we fought 14 years with japan, from 1931 to 1945, and sacrified 25 million people.
                              what a shame for u...how big is japan? about 1/10 th the size of china? it took u 14 years and 25 million and u still lost half of ur country? hahaha

this is the spirit of chinese. spirit of buddha and war do not conflict. we love peace, but if somebody use brutal force against us, we would pay back with equal brutal force.
                              u know nothing about spirit of buddha then...better stop talkin about it...
                              equal force? so u killed 25 million japanese? and occupied half of japan? when buddy? hehe...

that's why chinese maintain most of its sovereignty during the "golden time" of west colonizations.
                              now tell me, why was india colonized by british for as long as 250 years?
                              why? ask the british dude..why me? hehe...but since u asked let me tell u...it was because britain was the most industrialised nation at that time...much more powerful than any kingdom in india...we din't match them militarily...we made an effort in 1857 and din't succeed...
                              Gandhi came with his idea of non violence and peace....thats why we tool 50 years to gain independence...just as u people patronise Mao...my countrymen patronised Gandhi at that time...
                              personally if u ask me, i would have preferred to beat the shit out of the british hehe but well i was not born and the few who were born with such ideas in those times din't get the support from Gandhi's followers that they should have...just like the few independent students ur government killed in tiennaman square....they were too few....and just like u...the followers of Mao who din;t oppose these killings....the followers of Gandhi dint oppose the killings of true revolutionaries like Subhas Chandra Bose, Bhagat Singh and Azad...

Comment

Working...
                              X