Karnataka Sisal Fibre Craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karnataka Sisal Fibre Craft

Sisal is a Fencing thorny Plant grown mostly in the dry areas. Dry areas mean really dry where the underground water is very scant.

The fibre extracted from the Leaves of Sisal has very good tensile strength. This fibre were also used for anchoring Ships.

I have been working with a group of artisans froma very remote village and we have started developing some products like Hand bags, mats coasters, etc. The only problem is that the natural fibre is coarse and rough in nature. We have been experiment by blending bannana bark fibre to soften and make it feel smooth and soft. They can also be color dyed.

The product developed by the villagers are avilable at some of the known Handicraft stores inthe city. I invite interested people to participate and develop the products of their own choice. Wel if anyone has some requirements please do contact me at shreekrupa@hotmail.com.. I also invite suggestions for further development of the craft and new application areas for this Craft.

Yathindra L
    Associate Professor
    Accessory Design
Working...
X