Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facts about "Jana Gana Mana" - Just a thought for the National Anthem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts about "Jana Gana Mana" - Just a thought for the National Anthem!

Facts about "Jana Gana Mana" - Just a thought for the National Anthem!

How well do you know about it?

I have always wondered who is the "adhinayak" and "bharat bhagya vidhata", whose praise we are singing. I thought might be Motherland India!

Our current National Anthem "Jana Gana Mana" is sung throughout the country.

Did you know the following about our national anthem, I didn't.

To begin with, India's national anthem, Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka, was written by Rabindranath Tagore in honor of King George V and the Queen of England when they visited India in 1919. To honor their visit Pandit Motilal Nehru had the five stanzas included, which are in praise of the King and queen. (And most of us think it is in the praise of our great motherland!!!)

In the original Bengali verses only those provinces that were under British rule, i.e. Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat, Maratha etc. were mentioned. None of the princely states were recognized which are integral parts of India now Kashmir, Rajasthan, Andhra, Mysore or Kerala. Neither the Indian Ocean nor the Arabian Sea was included, since they were directly under Portuguese rule at that time. The Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka implies that King George V is the lord of the masses and Bharata Bhagya Vidhata is "the bestower of good fortune". Following is a translation of the five stanzas that glorify the King:

First stanza: (Indian) People wake up remembering your good name and ask for your blessings and they sing your glories. (Tava shubha naame jaage;tava shubha aashish maage, gaaye tava jaya gaatha)

Second stanza: Around your throne people of all religions come and give their love and anxiously wait to hear your kind words.

Third stanza: Praise to the King for being the charioteer, for leading the ancient travelers beyond misery.

Fourth stanza: Drowned in the deep ignorance and suffering, poverty-stricken, unconscious country? Waiting for the wink of your eye and your mother's (the Queen's) true protection.

Fifth stanza: In your compassionate plans, the sleeping Bharat(India)will wake up. We bow down to your feet O' Queen, and glory to Rajeshwara (the King).

This whole poem does not indicate any love for the Motherland but depicts a bleak picture. When you sing Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka, whom are you glorifying? Certainly not the Motherland. Is it God? The poem does not indicate that.It is time now to understand the original purpose and the implication of this, rather than blindly sing as has been done the past fifty years. Nehru chose the present national anthem as opposed to Vande Mataram because he thought that it would be easier for the band to play!!! It was an absurd reason but Today for that matter bands have advanced and they can very well play any music.

So they can as well play Vande Mataram, which is a far better composition in praise of our dear

Motherland -India.Wake up, it's high time!

Shouldn't Vande Mataram be our National Anthem?

PLEASE CIRCUILATE THIS AMONG YOUR BUSINESS & FRIENDS CIRCLE & HELP TO CREATE THE AWARENESS ABOUT THIS IMPORTANT MATTER!!!!!!!!

If anyone feel its not Good to publish here, pls email me and let me know.

hey . i heard this thing before as well.. But u think whatever u claim is factually correct?? OR some historical error published and circulated by some rogue.

Check out the facts before ciruclating this thing. Jana gana mana is not yet another song. its our national anthem.. So make doubly sure if ur correct with historical facts

here s a link on wikipedia that also mentions other part of the story..check it out.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jana_gana_mana.
    whatever the conclusion may be i think when we sing it its to praise the motherland and no george, tom, dick or harry...

Comment

whatever the conclusion may be... i think when we sing it its to praise the motherland and no george, tom, dick or harry...i agree with you rohit.
      Our anthem proclaims the regional diversity we have.
      But if it was written first to honor King George in his visit,i think we shud go in for "vande mataram",cause that fact can never be changed .

Comment

thanks ameenullah , for sharing this precious meaning of our national anthem, very few people know about this in todays world , we really aprreciate ur feelings
        Megrisoft Team Member
        Search India

Comment

it's ur orginal content or taken from anywhere. Ameenullah has added this content here in IB. this is imporatant for us. Thanks Ameenullah.
          Last edited by rajesh; 05-17-2006, 05:58 AM.
          Eat Healthy, Think Better....
          India True Facts India Blog Dhoni No 1

Comment

Originally posted by rajesh
            it's ur orginal content or taken from anywhere. Ameenullah has added this content here in IB. this is imporatant for us. Thanks Ameenullah.
            Its not my content, I got a mail from my friend. When I got this mail, I thought its good to circulate and get the conclution for this. Though we dont know the real fact, We respect and sing in praise of mother land only. what i personally feel is, if this is the fact(Written for the king), Its better to use "Vande mataram" Instead.

Also it should not become like, We are singing a song which is not written in praise of our Mother land. And simply using someone's. In that way its not good to feel that... we didnt even have a song purely written for our Mother land.

If we follow without knowing the fact, then its our mistake(we can rectify it), Even after knowing the fact, if we continue the same...then???

Comment

Shut the hell up all you stupid dumb headed people. I am a bengali and i really know the meaning of this national anthem.

How could you disrespect it. How could you? DO you know what it means. No because it is in Bengali.

How could you say that. want to know what it actually means.
              here it is.\

Thou are the ruler of the minds of all people, dispenser of India's destiny.

The name rouses the hearts of Punjab, Sind, Gujurat and Maratha. Of the Dravid and Orissa and Bengal.

It Echoes in the hills of Vindhyas and Himalayas, mingles in the music of Yamuna and Ganga and is chanted by the waves of the Indian Sea.

They pray for your blessing and sing thy praise. The salvation of all peaople is thy hand, thou dispenser of India's destiny. Victory, Victory, Victory to thee.

so keep sleeping. If you guys wake up . India will be destroyed.

Comment

cool down India1989....the controversy is nothin connected with d fact that it was written in bengalese language,as u said in the lounge
                u can look at the wiki site about the controversy....

Comment

Dear India1989, here we are talking about the fact that we really doesnt know! We are not blaming any language. And in no way we are telling that we are not praising, We are here discussing about the fact how it came into existance... and what we are following!

So cool down! And try to get the solution...

Comment

that is a hot headed fellow there. touch the wrong spot and explosions only occur
                    miqsh
                    EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Comment

ok i will calm down. But the meaning you gave about the national anthem is not right.

Its like saying that the meaning of "i like you" is i don't like you.

Its simple. The meaning is what i just gave you. So what's the discussion about. Well if you want we can still discuss. But all i know is that it doesn't mean that India is loyal to British something as you had posted.

Anyways sorry for the explosion. I got mad when i read the post by pakifoji. I couldn't control myself.

Comment

Meaning of "Jan Gan Man"

Ravindra Nath Tagore was the greate minded person.

He was not desire to any benifit from the government.

His each poem, articles and messages are indicate any other supreme power. who is unreachable and untouchable.

Tagore indicate Matribhumi is as greate as God.

His poem indicate Actual thinking and mentality of Indian People

now read Care fully this poem Again.
                        I translate it to english also

"Jan Gan Man Adhinayak Jai He"
                        ( I Pray the leader who is leaving and rule in the mind of common and urban people )
                        --- Here Tagor indicate not only to the prime power but to the Most popular and ascient kings of India Like Ram. who are still in indian peoples thinking.

"Bharat Bhagya Vidhata"
                        ( Builder of Indian future )
                        --- No any poet of India can give so much respect to any of emporor that he is buider of future of any country. It will only the prime power.

"Tav shubh name jage
                        tav shubh ashish mange
                        gahe tav jay gatha"

( We wake up at morning by remembering your name,
                        We want your order to do any work,
                        We sing ur stories)

--- Now this is common habbit of an Indian people.
                        at early morning each Indian remember his/ her Mother and father, respected persons and God.

No any indian want to remember British rural at morning.

According to indian Vedas we have to work for dedicating to God.
                        "tav shubh ashish mange " indicate this openion.

any person remember his God or ideol before starting any work.

and "gahe tav jai gatha " is common habbit of indian that they pray to God by singing and remembering his ascent stories. like Geeta and Ramayan.

" Jai he Jai he Jai he
                        Jai Jai Jai Jai he"

this is Indian Aarti rule that at the end of Aarti, people call JaijaiKar at loud speak.

We always cal after this poem.

"Bharat Mata Ki .... Jai "
                        ved
                        Software Engineer
                        Mumbai

Comment

Actually some people say that Jai he Jai he and Jai he is "Victory, Victory, Victory to India".

But this national anthem doesn't mean to pay tribute to Britishers. If it was it would've had worlds like Bilet or Forsa.

Comment

Thanks ameenullah!!! For sharing that lovely information with us… I came across jana gana mana by A R Rahman - I have no words !! Thought u wuld like it… just check it out….

The exclusive Jana Gana Man

Comment

Thanks for sharing the video with us onlinepreetu.

Comment

Working...
                              X