What money to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What money to use?

We're traveling to India soon and were wondering if we should take American money or convert our money into rupees. When we were in Egypt, we found that all the street vendors preferred American money -- is it the same in India or the opposite?

Thanks,
    Brenda

well in many situations it would be not be preffered. and the amount u were to give for a taxi ride would definitely be less that what u have payed. so you get it? it might make many people happy there to receive foreign currency but u are going to have a loss inturn.
    miqsh
    EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Comment

Maybe I need to explain my question a bit better -- when we were in Egypt, the people selling on the streets actually told us the prices in American dollars. "One dollar, one dollar" is what they'd say as they came up to us to offer us a set of postcards or a statue.

So, you're saying that the situation is totally different in India, and that I should exchange our money for rupees when we get there? Where is the best place to do that -- bank or hotel or ???

Brenda

Comment

well the bank would be more secure but there is nothing wrong with hotels none that i have heard of. well the reason they were offering those prices is because they felt that u would have felt it to be cheap enough to buy it. infact there are chances they were earning a profit double of what they can get out of an egyptian citizens.
        miqsh
        EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Comment

Yes, you're absolutely right, I'm sure they would have asked for less from Egyptian citizens. But, it's pretty obvious that I'm an American traveling with an American tour group, so I know I'll pay higher prices than a native. And, even if I'd had Egyptian money, the sellers would still have been asking the higher prices from me.

I'm just trying to plan ahead and either take a lot of American one dollar bills if street vendors use them, or figure out how much I should take in Traveler's Checks if I'll just be changing them into rupees once we arrive.

Brenda

Comment

In India things are always in Indian rupees. So its way better to exchange your money in a bank. that's the safest and most trustable place.

Comment

Working...
            X