Victims of Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victims of Development

Although I will certainly not support Ms. Mamta Banerjee in her movement against setting up the industry at Singur, it certainly comes to my mind that the farmers etc who have to give their lands to such projects are simply devoid of way to earn bread.

The govt. says that these farmers are being adequately compensated in terms of money etc., but handing over them money without telling them what to do with it does not provide any solution to their problems which start with the acquisition of their lands.

In many states it has been found that the money which was given to the farmers in lieu of their land was not adequate. And in many cases the money was wasted by them on buying items which were not required by them. They were simply misguided by the advertisements of various companies.

I only want to say that first of all they should be adequately compensated. And first of all some sort of the technical training should be provided to them so that they could start earn bread and butter. They should be given preference over others when it comes to the allocation of shops etc. in such areas as these projects attract large no. of workers from outside and chances of emergence a local bazar are quite great.
    Don’t worry, Be happy

I agree with your view,the compensation should be in three parts,that is property,skill training and money.Big corporates in India never bother for the common men,specially when it comes to rural India.They just show them some big amount and acquire their lands for pennies.They bribe the babus and make it appear that it will create employment for the locals,and by the time the project starts the locals are ignored in the name of skilled workers.And in a way the govt is to be blamed for all this.

Comment

My views

I totally agree with your views. Poor farmers have sacrificed a lot for cultivation of crops. But now they have to part with their only source of income that is land. By giving them compensation will not serve the purpose. But they need some guide also who can advise them how to use this money or invest it otherwise they are going to waste it. There have been lots of advertisements that lure these poor people to invest money in useless projects.

Comment

These abnormal acquisitions are becoming common in these days. For examplle a lot of land is being acquired by the govt. to hand it over to the building mafia. They build a colonies and sell the Kothis etc. on a exhoborent prices. So, the farmer whose land is acquired by the govt. at a very low price do not get anything significant from it. He only loses his land and lateron left to be in the situation of hand to mouth. My simple question is why should the govt. indulge in the malpractice like this. Not long ago the Hon'ble High Court of Punjab & Hariyana had to ask govt. not to indulge in this kind of practices.

These residential complexes are nothing but an investment lying waste, because those who buy these residents at a very high prices are generally NRIs who seldom come to stay in these houses.

There has been a lot of problems with rehabitation issues too. The outees of Dams in Himachal has not been settled fully till now. There fore the effort should be to rehabitate the farmers first of all. All the process should follow later on.
        Don’t worry, Be happy

Comment

I agree farmers should be adequately compensated. The difficulty is deciding what constitutes adequate compensation. The property would not be as valuable without development. It is a good idea to put the land to industrial use as this would increase the development of the economy. However, we need to make sure those displaced have enough to move elsewhere an be better off too. It might be a good idea to have the Finance Ministry provide guidance for how much a farmer should be compensated for his or her land. For example, a reasonable compensation might be determined by multiplying the annual income from the land by an amount between 5 and 20 depending on the prior use of the land. Any complaints against undercompensation would then be easily measurable to determine if the farmer had been adequately compensated or not.

Also, I thought SEZs were only supposed to be for industrial development and not residential development? Is that true?
          Last edited by Nikster; 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X