family roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family roots

Hello, not sure if anyone can help me, but here goes anyway.....

I was born in England, but my grandfather was born in Bombay and his family name was Dandekar. He married an English woman and had only one child (my mother). He died before I was born, and my mother, later in life, did not really keep in touch with anyone in India.

I have always been interested with my "indian roots", but have never really done anything to dicover them....

But now I would like to!! I feel I need to know something, if only to pass to my daughter.

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find out about the family name of 'Dandekar', all I know is that my grandfather was from Bombay and was Hindu.....

Kind Regards
    Amanda.

maybe u should visit india, there are offices were they have such information and stuff.
    miqsh
    EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Comment

have no clue whatsoever but i found this link hope it helps

also check this out cos its local..

Families in British India Society

Secretary FIBIS
      81 Rosewood Avenue
      Elm Park
      Hornchurch
      Essex RM12 5LD
      E-mail: tfuller@tfresearch.u-net.com
      The society was formed in November 1998 to provide a resource for people researching their families and their social history in India from 1600 until the present day. 'India' includes: the Republic of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma, as well as other areas including Persia and the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, the Philippines, Malaya, etc., that were covered by the East India Company or were governed by the India Department.

Also I will be visiting mumbai in 2 weeks time, let me know if i could do anything for you.

regards

Comment

family roots

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is off topic or not but I was also wondering how can found out if I have an Indian ancestry in my family. You see, both of my parents, me, grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles were born in America but we come from a state in America named, "Louisiana," and I have learned that both of my parents are of mixed-race. But I have come to learn that my grandmother(which is my mother's mother) considers herself "Creole," and I also think that my great-grandmother called herself "Creole" as well before she died.

Now, the people on my mom's side of the family are dark brown skinned with dark brown or black hair, and everybody on my dad's side of the family is very light brown skinned or high yellow complexioned with dark brown or black hair. My facial features are very wide. I have a wide face. I do look either very Mexican or I do look like I have some Indian blood or inheritance in me. Also, a lot of people on my dad's side of the family look Hispanic or look like they have some Indian inheritance as well. Now, we've also found out that we do have some European blood in us like Irish. We've found out that our great-grandfather was an Irishmen in Ireland, and that was it before he died in the 1800's. But just about all of my cousins on my dad's side of the family are very high yellow complexioned with dark hair.

And I have read in another encyclopedia which was rather old, and it said that if you hae type B+ blood you are considered to have some Indian blood in you. I bet the best thing like you've told the first person that posted earlier that the best thing to do is visit India. One of these days I will visit India but not right now with the war going on in Pakistan and Bangdad. I've always dreamed and wanted to visit the country of India!!!! That is because I used to have a couple of Indian friends that came to the states and lived in Georgia close to me.

I really appreciate your input!!!

Comment

Working...
        X