Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe of Tomato Sauce without Sugar

Ingredients

1 28 oz. can peeled whole tomatoes (Italian or regular), roughly chopped with juice reserved, or crushed by hand as described in the instructions. My favorite are the Muir Glen brand.
    1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
    5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fairly fine
    1 teaspoon salt
    freshly ground pepper to taste
    Optional Additions:
    1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed and roughly chopped or
    2 teaspoons dried oregano, basil, or rosemary
    1 onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced into half-rounds

Instructions

Tomato sauce reduces more quickly in a wide pot. Choose a non-reactive pot (not aluminum or copper) with a diameter of at least 8 inches. If I'm doubling the recipe I use a pot that's 11 inches wide x 3 inches deep (the pot in the photo).
    Open can of tomatoes and roughly chop tomatoes, reserving juice; or keep tomatoes in can and crush by hand as described further down.
    If adding onions, put oil and onions in pot and cook on medium heat until onions have softened, about 5-7 minutes. If not, then proceed with just oil and garlic as described below.
    Put oil and garlic in pot, turn heat to medium, and cook garlic, stirring, until it just starts to color slightly, about 30 seconds. It's important not to allow garlic to darken or burn. If that happens, you need to start over because the sauce will not taste good. Remove pan from heat.

Add chopped tomatoes and juice or crush tomatoes by hand as follows: Pour some of the juice from the can into the pot to slow down the cooking of the garlic. Crush the tomatoes by putting your hand into the can while you hold the can over the pot. Crush each tomato into smallish pieces and slide from can to pot. Continue until all tomatoes and juice have been added to pot. Add salt and pepper. If adding herbs, do so now. Stir to combine with a wooden spoon.

Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook at a lively simmer, stirring from time to time, until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. To prevent sauce from sticking to bottom of pot, stir more often as sauce thickens.

Last edited by Shivani salaria; 05-20-2014, 12:13 PM.

This is a great meal!I really love this Sauce.

Comment

Its looking yumeee.......

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.
        Especially without all that sugar..... That is easy so i will try to make this sauce.

Comment

I really love this Sauce.Thanks for the Great recipe. It looks yumeee...

Comment

This recipe is very healthy........Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and contain appreciable amounts of vitamins A and B, potassium, iron and phosphorus.

Comment

Marvellous work, as always! I like tomato sauce recipes with vegetables and without sugar!

Comment

Working...
              X