Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China Tests Anti-Satellite Weapon, Unnerving U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Tests Anti-Satellite Weapon, Unnerving U.S.

China Tests Anti-Satellite Weapon, Unnerving U.S.
    By WILLIAM J. BROAD and DAVID E. SANGER
    Published: January 18, 2007

China successfully carried out its first test of an anti-satellite weapon last week, signaling Beijing’s resolve to play a major role in military space activities and bringing expressions of concern from Washington and other capitals, the Bush administration said today.

Only two nations — Russia and the United States — have previously destroyed spacecraft in anti-satellite tests, most recently when Washington did so in the mid 1980s.

“This is the first real escalation in the weaponization of space that we’ve seen in 20 years,” said Jonathan McDowell, a Harvard astronomer who tracks rocket launchings and space activity. “It ends a long period of restraint.”

The White House said the United States and other nations had “expressed our concern regarding this action to the Chinese.” Despite its protest, the Bush administration has long resisted a global treaty banning such tests because it says it needs freedom of action in space.

華盛頓郵報頭條:

Chinese Satellite Test Draws Sharp Protest From Other Nations
    By Marc Kaufman and Dafna Linzer
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Thursday, January 18, 2007; 4:54 PM

The Chinese military used a ground-based missile to hit and destroy one of its aging satellites orbiting more than 500 miles in space last week, an apparent test of anti-satellite technology that raised concerns about a possible arms race in space and drew sharp protests from other space-faring nations.

The satellite-destroying test is believed to be the first of its kind in two decades by any nation, and experts say it dramatically illustrates Chinese capabilities in space and their willingness to face the certainty of broad international criticism.

The Chinese test, which was first reported online by the magazine Aviation Week and Space Technology, comes at a time of heightened tensions between the United States and China regarding space. China is leading an effort in the United Nations to set up an international conference that would address what many consider to be an imminent space arms race. The United States, however, has been the one space-faring nation to oppose the idea, arguing that it wasn't needed because there is no arms race in space.

The Bush administration also released a National Space Policy last fall that strongly asserted an American right to defend itself in space against any actions it considered hostile.

i like the response of the speaker of chinese civil defence department. when was asked to confirm on the Tests of Anti-Satellite Weapon, he said: i have no time to confirm that news.

cool! true chinese style

Comment

Indian people got new job to do now. In order to catch up china,india follows everthing that china did.

Comment

Originally posted by chinesemilitaryfan
        Indian people got new job to do now. In order to catch up china,india follows everthing that china did.
        look who's talkin, the copy cat chinese lol...
        it took u 20 years to copy what US did. if india does the same it will not be called following china

have u heard of a copy being made of a copy? perhaps the original but of a copy...nahhh...copy means bad quality....
        I 'll show u a new world!

Comment

I don't think it is a copy.if,it is,then the indian's nuclear weapon is also a copy.
          indian anounced the manned space plan after china sent man to space,is it a copy?no
          I just think you use 'copy' too often,in fact your understanding of copy is narrow. no offencing.

Comment

I don't think it is a copy.if,it is,then the indian's nuclear weapon is also a copy.
            indian anounced the manned space plan after china sent man to space,is it a copy?no
            I just think you use 'copy' too often,in fact your understanding of copy is narrow. no offencing.
            well, some time ago i put a post about how chinese steal technology from the US. no one ever made claims about india stealing nuclear weapon technology from a third nation so no, ur definition of copy is wrong, pls consult oxford dictionary, no offense

i use copy too often because thats exactly what china is good at. u put a mona lisa in front of china and they will make a plastic copy for 99 cents of course and send it to wal-mart....

no taste or sense of creativity, just plain clone making. thats all is what china is.

look at ur cities skylines. i don't think ancient chinese cities had such a design and landscape. u have plenty of land. u could preserve ur cultural heritage by coming up with innovative designs but no, is much easier to copy, isn't it

u guys suck at coming up with new ideas man. admit it. zero innovation.

Comment

Typical soar grape sense.
              In 60's,indian tried to copy nuclear weapon,the success copy just was done few years ago. Without a sound industrial foundation,it is not easy to copy.Your argly ajun tank an LCA are the typical examples of copy falure.
              Indian don't like copy? I laugh,india just doesn't have the capability to copy.
              Indian cities are also getting more and more skylines,is this also a copy which u r blaming?
              I think indian people also hope that wal-mart will have more and more indian product,but indian product is not welcome to wal-mart .Why?

Comment

Typical soar grape sense.
                In 60's,indian tried to copy nuclear weapon,the success copy just was done few years ago. Without a sound industrial foundation,it is not easy to copy.Your argly ajun tank an LCA are the typical examples of copy falure.
                Indian don't like copy? I laugh,india just doesn't have the capability to copy.
                Indian cities are also getting more and more skylines,is this also a copy which u r blaming?
                I think indian people also hope that wal-mart will have more and more indian product,but indian product is not welcome to wal-mart .Why?
                u again prove u have no knowledge of india's nuclear programme. there was no nuclear device exploded in 60's. it was in 1974 that the first explosion was carried out

the recent one was the latest technology, a fusion device- the H bomb. so before you write something get ur facts straight.

one more thing, the entire world admits that india's nuclear program is indigenous- that means designed and developed inside india, not copied or stolen from US unlike china which comes in news more and more for the theft it commits for its programs.

that proves who is innovative.

as for arjun tank and LCA, u can not compare the work of engineers at a aeronautical institute to those of the scientists working at a nuclear or space facility.
                these two are failures, no doubt but that's a non issue compared to the success of india's space program, civilian and military nuclear program and the missile technology- oh and did i mention- all designed and developed in india. the only thing prehaps we wanted was the russian cryogenic engine for our long range ICBMs but US din't let the technology to go through.

the scientists at ISRO overcame this too-kudos to them.

as for indian skylines becoming like west, no sir. in india we still prefer row houses like we did 30 years ago. its very easy to demolish them and create concrete structures 100 storeys tall but where is the indianness in all that? no garden, no soil, no plants. don't tell me u chinese don't like that too. china's pollution level and smog covering cities due to this environmentaly dangerous copying is a truth even u can't deny. its a shame that u are loosing ur culture to this onslaught.

finally regarding why indian products don't make it to walmart, i suggest u to move beyond walmart. go to macy's, jc penny or dillard. u ll see that clothes and merchandise from india outnumber those from china. u know why? because they are good quality. costlier of course but of good quality.
                i buy a 100$ trouser from nautica made in india instead of a 10$ one from walmart because i know the difference. i can't go to a client wearing those cheap things from walmart. thats the difference. china makes 10 such trousers to make as much money as an indian company makes by selling one.
                have u ever noticed what is the crowd filling walmart? mexicans. why? because they get things cheap there. i don't find walmart clothes on any of my colleagues or walmart things in any of their houses be it furniture, carpet or such things of value. toilet papers, yes but nothing that can be called of value.

indian export lacks behind for sure. i see the market and see the quality of goods china and india produces and i see the enormous opportunity for india. even with 10% of the quality they make things with now, indian goods are capable of beating chinese goods. its a pity that there are not big manufacturing units exploiting this.

if u think i m saying something wrong, ask any of ur american colleagues about the quality of goods from walmart and u ll see what they have to say...

Comment

here's another proof of india's technical capability. don't tell me that india stole the heat resistant tiles from china...lolz...u guys really are something...:d
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIA HAS for the first time successfully brought a space capsule back to earth. Until now, only the United States, Russia and China had similar expertise in reentry technology. The success also takes the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) a step closer to its goal of putting an Indian in space some years from now.
                  On Monday, ISRO officials said the 550kg recoverable space capsule — called Space capsule Recovery Experiment (SRE-1) — that was launched on January 10 had returned to the earth's atmosphere, splashing down in the Bay of Bengal, about 140 km east of the Sriharikota coast at 9.46 a.m., exactly as planned.

It demonstrated ISRO’s ability to build a capsule that could endure temperatures of more than 1,200 degrees Celsius while re-entering the earth's atmosphere after a space expedition.

Retrieved by a Coast Guard team, SRE1 will be taken to the Sriharikota Range by road on Tuesday for ISRO scientists to take a close look at the heat-resistant tiles that protected it during the re-entry phase.

ISRO chairman G. Madhavan Nair said, “SRE-I is an important beginning for providing a low-cost platform for micro-gravity experiments in space science and technology and the return of specimen from space.” Dr S.C. Chakravarthy, programme director (space science), ISRO, who monitored the touchdown from ISTRAC (ISRO's Telemetry, Tracking & Command Network) station on the outskirts of Bangalore, said, “We are very happy with the outcome of this experiment because it will lead to new things — certainly to a manned mission into space.” Scientists to push for satellite deal ¦ WELL BEGUN: BOOST FOR INDIAN-IN-SPACE MISSION THE SUCCESS proves India’s expertise in building heat-resistant tiles that protect a space capsule during its return to earth ONLY THREE OTHER COUNTRIES — the United States, Russia and China — have similar expertise in re-entry technology EXPERTS SAY the SRE-1 experiment will lead to new things in the future — even a manned mission into space

INDIA HAS for the first time successful- ly brought a space capsule back to earth. Until now, only the United States, Russia and China had similar expertise in re- entry technology. The success also takes the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) a step closer to its goal of putting an Indian in space some years from now. On Monday, ISRO officials said the 550- kg recoverable space capsule — called Space capsule Recovery Experiment (SRE-1) — that was launched on January 10 had returned to the earth's atmos- phere, splashing down in the Bay of Ben- gal, about 140 km east of the Sriharikota coast at 9.46 a.m., exactly as planned. It demonstrated ISRO’s ability to build a capsule that could endure tempera- tures of more than 1,200 degrees Celsius while re-entering the earth's atmosphere after a space expedition. Retrieved by a Coast Guard team, SRE- 1 will be taken to the Sriharikota Range by road on Tuesday for ISRO scientists to take a close look at the heat-resistant tiles that protected it during the re-entry phase. ISRO chairman G. Madhavan Nair said, “SRE-I is an important beginning for pro- viding a low-cost platform for micro-grav- ity experiments in space science and tech- nology and the return of specimen from space.” Dr S.C. Chakravarthy, programme director (space science), ISRO, who monitored the touchdown from ISTRAC (ISRO's Telemetry, Tracking & Command Network) station on the outskirts of Bangalore, said, “We are very happy with the outcome of this experiment because it will lead to new things — certainly to a manned mission into space.” Scientists to push for satellite deal ¦ WELL BEGUN: BOOST FOR INDIAN-IN-SPACE MISSION THE SUCCESS proves India’s expertise in building heat-resistant tiles that protect a space capsule during its return to earth ONLY THREE OTHER COUNTRIES — the United States, Russia and China — have similar expertise in re-entry technology EXPERTS SAY the SRE-1 experiment will lead to new things in the future — even a manned mission into space

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                    here's another proof of india's technical capability. don't tell me that india stole the heat resistant tiles from china...lolz...u guys really are something...:d
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIA HAS for the first time successfully brought a space capsule back to earth. Until now, only the United States, Russia and China had similar expertise in reentry technology. The success also takes the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) a step closer to its goal of putting an Indian in space some years from now.
                    On Monday, ISRO officials said the 550kg recoverable space capsule — called Space capsule Recovery Experiment (SRE-1) — that was launched on January 10 had returned to the earth's atmosphere, splashing down in the Bay of Bengal, about 140 km east of the Sriharikota coast at 9.46 a.m., exactly as planned.

It demonstrated ISRO’s ability to build a capsule that could endure temperatures of more than 1,200 degrees Celsius while re-entering the earth's atmosphere after a space expedition.

Retrieved by a Coast Guard team, SRE1 will be taken to the Sriharikota Range by road on Tuesday for ISRO scientists to take a close look at the heat-resistant tiles that protected it during the re-entry phase.

ISRO chairman G. Madhavan Nair said, “SRE-I is an important beginning for providing a low-cost platform for micro-gravity experiments in space science and technology and the return of specimen from space.” Dr S.C. Chakravarthy, programme director (space science), ISRO, who monitored the touchdown from ISTRAC (ISRO's Telemetry, Tracking & Command Network) station on the outskirts of Bangalore, said, “We are very happy with the outcome of this experiment because it will lead to new things — certainly to a manned mission into space.” Scientists to push for satellite deal ¦ WELL BEGUN: BOOST FOR INDIAN-IN-SPACE MISSION THE SUCCESS proves India’s expertise in building heat-resistant tiles that protect a space capsule during its return to earth ONLY THREE OTHER COUNTRIES — the United States, Russia and China — have similar expertise in re-entry technology EXPERTS SAY the SRE-1 experiment will lead to new things in the future — even a manned mission into space

INDIA HAS for the first time successful- ly brought a space capsule back to earth. Until now, only the United States, Russia and China had similar expertise in re- entry technology. The success also takes the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) a step closer to its goal of putting an Indian in space some years from now. On Monday, ISRO officials said the 550- kg recoverable space capsule — called Space capsule Recovery Experiment (SRE-1) — that was launched on January 10 had returned to the earth's atmos- phere, splashing down in the Bay of Ben- gal, about 140 km east of the Sriharikota coast at 9.46 a.m., exactly as planned. It demonstrated ISRO’s ability to build a capsule that could endure tempera- tures of more than 1,200 degrees Celsius while re-entering the earth's atmosphere after a space expedition. Retrieved by a Coast Guard team, SRE- 1 will be taken to the Sriharikota Range by road on Tuesday for ISRO scientists to take a close look at the heat-resistant tiles that protected it during the re-entry phase. ISRO chairman G. Madhavan Nair said, “SRE-I is an important beginning for pro- viding a low-cost platform for micro-grav- ity experiments in space science and tech- nology and the return of specimen from space.” Dr S.C. Chakravarthy, programme director (space science), ISRO, who monitored the touchdown from ISTRAC (ISRO's Telemetry, Tracking & Command Network) station on the outskirts of Bangalore, said, “We are very happy with the outcome of this experiment because it will lead to new things — certainly to a manned mission into space.” Scientists to push for satellite deal ¦ WELL BEGUN: BOOST FOR INDIAN-IN-SPACE MISSION THE SUCCESS proves India’s expertise in building heat-resistant tiles that protect a space capsule during its return to earth ONLY THREE OTHER COUNTRIES — the United States, Russia and China — have similar expertise in re-entry technology EXPERTS SAY the SRE-1 experiment will lead to new things in the future — even a manned mission into space
                    hehe, china did the same thing in 1975.

stop showing off your poor "technical capability". without helps from US and russia indian can do nothing but boasting with their big mouth.

Comment

Too long text can not prove the technical capability of india.
                      Pls,use google to search the technical capability ranking of every country.You will be dispointed.
                      It is not your fault that indian have a poor technical capability .But it is your fault that you are boasting.

Comment

Too long text can not prove the technical capability of india.
                        Pls,use google to search the technical capability ranking of every country.You will be dispointed.
                        It is not your fault that indian have a poor technical capability .But it is your fault that you are boasting.
                        search google to find ur stealing a country of thieves? shame

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                          search google to find ur stealing a country of thieves? shame
                          hehe, neo's desperate abusing makes him very funny.

facing chinese development, indian has a very typical sour grape complex. haha...

Comment

Originally posted by snower
                            hehe, neo's desperate abusing makes him very funny.

facing chinese development, indian has a very typical sour grape complex. haha...
                            its not me who has the complex, its the chinese who suffer from this complex. as i said chinese are like the poor who suddenly become rich. they don't know how to behave with the prosperity.

learn some modesty from US, if the people there had mind like urs, we will only hear big mouth boasting from them. thankfully that doesn't happen. its only the uneducated, narrow minded who brag about themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                              its not me who has the complex, its the chinese who suffer from this complex. as i said chinese are like the poor who suddenly become rich. they don't know how to behave with the prosperity.

learn some modesty from US, if the people there had mind like urs, we will only hear big mouth boasting from them. thankfully that doesn't happen. its only the uneducated, narrow minded who brag about themselves.

oh my higher-rank-than-chinese dalit friend, haha...

trying deny your dalit backgroud reflects your another inferior complex, haha... face the reality, we don't discriminate your dalit origin, don't have that racism though, ok?

Comment

Working...
                              X