Running for Politcal Power in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running for Politcal Power in India

First off, do you have to be a born citizen of India to run for political power such as President of Primef Minister? I am born in the US, but am full blood Indian (parents from India) but still American. Can I still run for power in India, if lets say I have joint-citizanship or what not?

Secondly, how old do you have to be to run for power in India such as President or Prime Minister?

Thirdly, what are the politcal parties of India? for example in the US the biggest parties are the Republicans and Democrats. What are the biggest parties in India? I heard it is the the Communist Pary is big there. Which party in India represents liberalism more and/or conservatism?

Finally, is it true that the Prime Minister has more power than the President? What are the differences in power between the two?

Other than a foreign policy which I addressed in another thread, if I ever run for power in India, I also wish to buld India into a mighty superpower. There are so many umemployed workers in India, especially 500,000 unics or unisexes that no private buissness would provide jobs for. A government job handout to these people will make them happier and help them work on massively industrializing India to a mighty superpower. What do you think of the plan?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Silverbackman; 04-25-2005, 12:39 PM.

hey

hi man if u ask the oppostion leader of india whether "do you have to be a born citizen of India to run for political power such as President of Prime Minister"? he would definetly say "yes"!! but if u ask the prime minister of the country the same question he would consult with the president of his party and then definitely say "no"!!
    confused?? well in case u dont know the leader of the ruling party(some consider her pm) mrs sonia gandhi is of italian roots..she was married to our late pm rajiv gandhi..she almost became the prime minister of the country ( she gave the posts on moral consciousness )well datz wat she says!! so all in all everyone india in confused abt it...so mate the bottomline is...YOUR CHANCES ARE AS BRIGHT AS ANYONE ELSES!!! ... as for the communist party it isnt as big as you would think..though they do rule a coupl of states( personally i am not a big admirer of communist ideas spcly the way it is implemented in india though it seems they r slowly but steadily restructuring their beliefs on privatisation and other imp matters) and as for the biggest political parties in india r concerned..they are the bjp and the congress..though there are scores of other small parties who sometimes have more say than the bigger parties..
    well datz bout it i guess i supplied u with more info than u wud hv bargained for!!
    so pack your bags dude as i said ur chances are a s bright as anyone elses!!

Comment

What are the differences between the bjp party and the congress party? Also, which one is more liberal or conservative.

Comment

tough question

its hard to say but personally i prefer the bjp..they have new breed of leaders n i just think they r a better option for india...congress has been a historical party and has ruled india for aximum years but now they just lack leadership qualities..there doesnt seem to be any leader who can lead the party..all in all both have their pros n cons but i wud anyday prefer the bjp over congress

Comment

You have to be an Indian citizen to hold the highest office of India. Period. This is what the constitution says (though I have no clue what it would be if a person has dual-citizenship). You can be born an Indian or you can be naturalised. The constitution and law is clear on this, no questions about it.

Secondly if i remember my standard 10th Civics (a subject) lessons correctly you have to be atleast 35 years old to be eligible for the post of Prime Minister / President. But all through most of our PM's and Presidents have been twice as old

Yes, the Prime Minister has all the power under the Indian constitution. The President is just a ceremonial head of the state, like the Queen of England. There are probably many detailed differences between them but the one which I strikingly remember is this-- every law that is to be passed in the parliament(a bill) is passed by the PM to the President. The President can reject the law, but he can do this only twice/thrice. After that he has to put his signature on the law. Moreover the President can advise the PM and his goevrnment about things, but, such an advice is not binding. So you see, the President has no real powers. The PM has all the powers.

Now the BJP is considered conservative because it advocates traditional Indian ways, the majority religion (Hinduism) etc., often in the process berating other religions and people who don't fit into their sense of morality. The Congress has secularism as its policy and wants religion separated from matters of the state. These are a few obvious differences.

Lastly i wonder what do you mean by unics/unisexes?

Comment

Originally posted by observer
            You have to be an Indian citizen to hold the highest office of India. Period. This is what the constitution says (though I have no clue what it would be if a person has dual-citizenship). You can be born an Indian or you can be naturalised. The constitution and law is clear on this, no questions about it.

Secondly if i remember my standard 10th Civics (a subject) lessons correctly you have to be atleast 35 years old to be eligible for the post of Prime Minister / President. But all through most of our PM's and Presidents have been twice as old

Yes, the Prime Minister has all the power under the Indian constitution. The President is just a ceremonial head of the state, like the Queen of England. There are probably many detailed differences between them but the one which I strikingly remember is this-- every law that is to be passed in the parliament(a bill) is passed by the PM to the President. The President can reject the law, but he can do this only twice/thrice. After that he has to put his signature on the law. Moreover the President can advise the PM and his goevrnment about things, but, such an advice is not binding. So you see, the President has no real powers. The PM has all the powers.

Now the BJP is considered conservative because it advocates traditional Indian ways, the majority religion (Hinduism) etc., often in the process berating other religions and people who don't fit into their sense of morality. The Congress has secularism as its policy and wants religion separated from matters of the state. These are a few obvious differences.

Lastly i wonder what do you mean by unics/unisexes?

Strange but I don't get why don't they call the president maharaja instead of president then, if he is only a ceremonial leader.

What I mean by unics and unisexes is that the government should put these people who are denied jobs in work camps (a very luxshourious workcamp), similar to the one during the early soviet union under stalin, BUT NOT AS CRUEL TREATED. These unics and unisexes will then work on mass producing so that we will be able to trade more effiecently, thus boosting our economy. We have the army and large economy to be a superpower, all we need now is the rich economy to go with it. Then we will be able to peacefully force Pakistan, Nepal, Bangledesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and maybe Burma (not sure about Burma) to the might Indian superpower, and it will be complete. Then India will be a might superpower!

Ash Nash Dan Rictadoon!

Comment

Maybe we don't have a Maharaja for historical reasons because at independence our last ruling maharaja (or was it a maharani??) was the king/queen of England. And we certainly didn't want to have anything to do with England anymore. As you must be knowing Canada and Australia still have their heads of state as the monarch of England

Prior to the British were the Mughals and their governors in various states who were reduced to pliant princes in some states(those states not annexed) under the British rule.I think we certainly weren't going to have any Mughal or ancient Hindu king as the head of state because these ideas were already antiquated

Comment

India is a big country with a population of around a billion and an electorate of over 700 million because it is a world's largest democracy and for all its faults. Most of the elected representatives of state assemblies and central parliamentary in india itself a fine example of how the money power dominates the governance. There are nice information's about the running political power in India related.
                Last edited by avrilcory; 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Hi, I am very happy to read this post!! I also sharing info about Arvind Kejriwal.the Prime Minister has all the force under the Indian constitution. The President is only a stylized leader of the state, such as the Queen of England. There are presumably numerous nitty gritty contrasts between them however the particular case that I strikingly recollect is this- - each law that is to be passed in the parliament(a bill) is passed by the PM to the President.

Comment

Working...
                  X