Meet A Hero--Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet A Hero--Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan

Hails from Kerala, family settled in Bangalore, commissioned at Bihar regiment, gave his life while saving Mumbai (I should better say India)

Meet our Hero, friendly neighbourhood - Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan( 7, Bihar Regiment), he gave his life just to let us breathe in terror-free air. We all pray to almighty to give peace to his holy soul.

Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan
    March 17, 1977(1977-03-17) – November 28, 2008 (aged 31)
    Place of birth Calicut, Kerala
    Place of death Mumbai, Maharashtra
    Place of burial Hebbal, Bangalore, Karnataka
    Allegiance India

Service/branch Indian Army, National Security Guards
    Years of service 1999-2008
    Rank Major, Commando
    Unit NSG HQ, Manesar

Sandeep Unnikrishnan March 17, 1977 – November 28, 2008) was a Major in the Indian Army serving in the elite National Security Guards (NSG) who was led his life in an encounter with terrorists in November 2008 Mumbai attacks.

"Do not come up, I will handle them." These were probably the last words which Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan told his men as he was hit by bullets while engaging terrorists inside the Taj Hotel, Mumbai during the Black Tornado operation.

During the operation, when a commando got injured Major Unnikrishnan arranged for his evacuation and started chasing the terrorists himself. The terrorists escaped to another floor of the hotel and during the chase Major Unnikrishnan was seriously injured and succumbed to his injuries.

Family
    He hails from a family settled in Bangalore that had migrated from Cheruvannur - Kozhikode district, Kerala He was the only son of retired ISRO officer Mr. K. Unnikrishnan and Mrs. Dhanalakshmi.

Childhood
    Major Unnikirshnan spent 14 years at the Frank Anthony Public School. A popular figure among his contemporaries, he wanted to join the Army, even attending school in a crew cut. He is remembered as an outstanding student. In 1995 he finished ISC Science from here. He was also a fantastic athlete. Most of his athletic records remained unbroken for many years. Tall, slim boy with the most genial personality he was the house captain and loved by all in the school. He described himself as a movie maniac in his orkut profile.

Besides his display of courage from young age he had a soft side to him and was a member of the school choir.

Army Career
    He joined the National Defense Academy in 1994 and was commissioned as Second Lieutenant to the 7 Bihar Regiment in June 1999. After serving the Indian Army in different locations in Jammu & Kashmir to counter insurgencies, he was selected to join the National Security GuardsOn completion of training, he was assigned to the Special Action Group (SAG) of NSG on January 2007 and participated in various operation of the NSG.

Black Tornado Operation
    On the night of 26 Nov 2008, several iconic buildings in South Mumbai were attacked by terrorists. One of the buildings where the terrorists held people hostage was the 100 year old Taj Mahal Palace Hotel.

Major Unnikrishnan was the commander of 51 SAG deployed in the operation at the Taj Mahal Hotel. He led his team from the front and engaged the terrorists in a fierce gunfight. When one of the NSG commandos was injured in the exchange of fire, he arranged for his evacuation and regardless of personal safety chased the terrorists who, meanwhile, escaped to another floor of the hotel, and while doing so Major Sandeep continuously engaged them. In the encounter that followed, he was shot from the back, seriously injured and succumbed to injuries.

Isn't he our friendly neighbourhood??

Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan Dies a Hero's Death
    Posted on November 29, 2008 by nsemarket

Being in the forefront of the National Security Guards operations at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai, Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan not only waged a valiant battle against the terrorists but also did his best to save his injured colleagues and in the bargain lost his life. He showed the real warrior in him before laying down his life.

Thirty-one-year- old Major Sandeep is the only son of retired ISRO officer K. Unnikrishnan, who is settled in Bangalore.

His father told presspersons: "I lost my son in Mumbai on Friday. Though I do not like to call him a martyr, I can proudly say that he has done something for this country." He was informed of the death of his son by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (National Security Guards).

According to information reaching the family, "Major Sandeep was leading a team and during the operations two of his colleagues sustained bullet injuries. In a bid to save them Sandeep turned back. The bullets fired by the terrorists pierced him. On November 26, he had called us and said that one of his childhood friends is getting married in the city on December 17. He had planned to attend that marriage," Mr. Unnikrishnan said.

Major Sandeep was ambitious, talented and a brave soul, said his friends and neighbours. He joined the National Defence Academy and was commissioned in the Bihar 7th Regiment in 1999. He was drafted to the NSG after his gallantry was recognised," Kiran Srivasthav, a childhood friend of Major Sandeep.

According to Anirudh Uppal, Inspector-General (Headquarters) National Security Guards (NSG), Major Sandeep had exposure to counter insurgency operations after having served in Jammu and Kashmir for two terms. He was deputed to the NSG on January 20, 2007 and participated in various operations conducted by the elite force.

The gallant officer of the team commander of 51 SAG was deployed to clear Hotel Taj Mahal of extremists on November 27.. He led the team from the front and engaged the terrorists in a fierce gunfight. When one of the NSG commandos was injured in the exchange of fire, he arranged for his evacuation and regardless of personal safety chased the terrorists who, meanwhile, escaped to another floor of the hotel, and while doing so Major Sandeep continuously engaged them. In the encounter that followed, he was seriously injured and succumbed to injuries.

Tearful adieu to Major Unnikrishnan
    November 29, 2008 14:59 IST

Bangalore on Saturday bid a tearful farewell to Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, the NSG commando who was killed in the bloodiest counter-offensive at the Taj hotel in Mumbai.

Family members, friends and army personnel besides thousands of ordinary people came out in the streets to pay homage to the martyr who laid down his life during the unprecedented anti-terror operation.

Unnikrishnan was killed while trying to pursue a fleeing terrorist at Taj.
    The body of the slain hero was draped with the tricolour. Tears streamed down the cheeks of many as emotional family members and friends broke down while bidding adieu to the braveheart. The funeral was held with full military honours.

As emotions ran high, the crowd raised slogans like Bharat Mata Ki Jai while paying their last respects to the martyr.

Slain Major led from front: NSG chief
    November 29, 2008 09:29 IST

The operation to secure control over Taj Hotel would not have been successful had it not been for the valiant effort put forth by the commandos of the NSG.

While announcing the culmination of operations inside the Taj Hotel early Saturday morning, NSG Director General J K Dutt said Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, who was killed in action on Friday, played a stellar role in eliminating the terrorists.

Major Unnikrishnan was with the 51 Special Action Group of the force and was with the NSG on deputation. He has been with the Black Cat commando force for the last two years.

An officer of the Bihar Regiment, he was commissioned in the Indian Army] in June 1999. The officer had joined the NSG on deputation in January 2007 after having served two tenures with his battalion in counter insurgency and counter terrorism roles.

Major Unnikrishnan' s father refuses to meet Kerala CM
    30 Nov 2008, 2312 hrs IST, PTI

BANGALORE: Faced with criticism for delay in showing respect to slain NSG commando Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, Kerala chief minister V S

Achuthanandan on Sunday called on the soldier's family members here, but a depressed father of Sandeep declined to accept his condolences.

The opposition parties in Kerala have accused the state government of having shown disrespect to the Kerala-born soldier, who lost his life while combating terrorists in Mumbai, by not sending any minister to his funeral, attended by a large number of people, including Karnataka chief minister B S Yeddyurappa, here on Saturday.

Achutanandan accompanied by Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan rushed to the city on Sunday evening.

As Sandeep's father Unnikrishnan remained firm that no politician should enter his house and refused to meet the dignatories from his own state, police persuaded Dhanalakshmi, mother of the slain commando, to talk to the guests.

Amid continued protests from Unnikrishnan, Balakrishnan gave words of comfort to Dhanalakshmi and Achuthanandan followed him.

Sources close to Unnikrishnan said he even went to the extent of issuing a threat that he would commit suicide if any politician entered his house.

He had told his friends that his son, whose valour was witnessed by the entire country, did not belong to Kerala alone but to the entire nation.

Unnikrishnan refused to allow police sniffer dogs into the house when security personnel came there ahead of the Kerala Chief Minister's visit to perform their duties.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for Achuthanandan in Thiruvananthapuram said the political secretary of the chief minister had attended the funeral.

Major Sandeep UnniKrishnan - A school remembers
    29 Nov 2008, 0028 hrs IST

BANGALORE : Maj. Sandeep Unnikrishnan, who laid down his life fighting terrorists at the Nariman House, spent 14 years of his life at the

Frank Anthony Public School. A popular figure among his contemporaries, Major Unnikrishnan had only one mission in his life -- to join the Army.

According to principal C Browne, who also taught the Armyman math and physics in Class 10, Maj. Unnikrishnan was an outstanding student. "He finished ISC Science from here, way back in 1995. Besides this, he was also a fantastic athlete. Most of his athletic records remained unbroken for many years," reminisces Browne.

The principal, who has taught at FAPS for the past 30 years, said he remembered Major Sandeep as a tall, slim boy with the most genial personality. "He was the house captain and loved by all. Ever since he was a boy, he wanted to join the Army. He even wore his hair like the commandos," added Browne.

Besides displaying traits of courage and valour, Maj. Unnikrishnan also had a soft side to him. According to Browne, he also sang in the school choir for many years. "I remember him as a happy-go-lucky kid. As a school, we plan to honour him by holding a memorial assembly service along with a few of his classmates," said Browne.

One note:-
    "We salute you and your parents Dear Major. Those last three days I have learnt that India needs more people like you. there are no hops from any party as everybody's are greedy for votes. Their tears are also crocodial tears. It's We common Indian who have save our lives. I have a son of two years old. I was thinking that I can't send my child to any army forces. But now I have changed. If we all think like this then who will do the job. I thank you and many other brave soldiers for that. Now if my son wants to go i will proudly say YES to him. Jai Hind, Vande Matram."

Comment

Working...
    X