Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIV/AIDS - The Indian Nightmare

HIV/AIDS - The Indian Nightmare

India is home to the world's second-largest HIV population after South Africa with more than 5.1 million people living with HIV/AIDS and experts say the number could quadruple by 2010. The disease is likely to become the single largest cause of death in the world's second-most populous country unless there is progress on prevention.

There are many organizations in India who claim to be working to prevent HIV as well as help those who have already become infected or full blown. These organizations receive several billion dollars in aid from generous donors within the country and abroad. But how much do we know about the actual workings of these NGOs? Most of these organizations end up printing and distributing posters and leaflets. No more.

I think the Government could play a greater role in PREVENTION by screening. They could start by making it compulsory for those applying for passports or driving licenses to produce HIV TEST Certificates. Ofcourse, a person having HIV infection will NOT BE DENIED a Passport or License, but an ENTRY will be recorded. This will not only prove useful in screening but will automatically create the much needed AWARENESS.

Another place for Government intervention would be while REGISTERING MARRIAGES. It should be made compulsory that the couple should submit themselves to an HIV TEST before Marriage Registration. If the Government makes this compulsory it will save the families a lot of embarrasment. Even TEMPLES, CHURCHES, MOSQUES, GURUDWARAS should be made to comply with the same procedure.

Did you know that there is a new hybrid strain of HIV in India?
    (I will post you the link if you are interested).

Good suggestions,though.

Comment

Baboons,

Why do i get a sense that you are a chinese guy here on this board to cause trouble?

Comment

A Chinese baboon!!

You are out of your mind!
        Just when I thought you had recovered:no,you are insane as ever.

jtm123,
        you are beginning to annoy me.

Comment

Chinese? I saw some trollish postings by a someone having a Chinese sounding name and it wasn't you baboon

Coming to the topic what does everyone think about the fact that the number of AIDS infected in India are 0.5 % of the population by government estimates and 1 % by the NGO estimates? Seems rather tiny to me. Of course this is not to underrate the seriousness of AIDS or projections of its quadrpuling in 5 years time.

Comment

A generally fair study about conflicting HIV figures was published in Time a few weeks ago.
            Though the main writer is Alex Perry,and his prejudices show.

Comment

Well then which is it? Is a high percentage of the population infected, or a low one? How prevalent is AIDs in India?

Comment

The numbers maybe tiny b/c no one really knows the real numbers...most people would never tell they have the virus since they would be shunned from society...thus AIDS awareness is more important (like the myth that AIDS can be caught with skin contact or sharing a glass or something)

Comment

I think screening people for AIDS for things like driver's licenses will do nothing but increase the negative attitude towards them, and they already are treated pretty much like lepers all over the world.

I find it interesting that you didn't mention condoms or abstinence AT ALL, just detecting the disease.

Frankly, a disease is easier to control if you prevent it from infecting someone, rather than trying to isolate those who have it.

Also troubling is the recent decision by the central gov't to stop manufacturing cheap AIDS drugs, in response to US trade pressure.

Comment

Ultimately,you need a vaccine to get rid of this menace.
                    Defensive/preventive measures now in place depend too much on compliance,a notoriously fickle variable.
                    There have been some recent attempts at defining and manufacturing a suitable vaccine, and all things going well, it may be available to the world in a couple of years time.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Well then which is it? Is a high percentage of the population infected, or a low one? How prevalent is AIDs in India?
                      Even though many people in India don't reveal whether they have AIDS due to fears of social ostracism. taking these considerations into view the number of HIV-infected people in India is estimated to be 1 % of the total population by NGOs who are the ones shouting hoarse about how prevalent AIDS is in India.

India's population is of 100 crores and 1% of it is 1 crores or 10 million. So that's a large number in itself. But it still is 1% at the most, of India's population.

Comment

Working...
                      X