After Amarinder's exit, majority of MLAs favoured me for Punjab CM post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Amarinder's exit, majority of MLAs favoured me for Punjab CM post

Former Punjab Congress president Sunil Jakhar on Wednesday made a big revelation and claimed that after the unseating of Captain Amarinder Singh, he was favoured by 42 MLAs to be the next chief minister of the state followed by Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa with 16 MLAs supporting him.

Interestingly he has claimed that Charanjit Singh Channi, who finally turned out to be Amarinder Singh's successor, had got lowest support, of only 2 MLAs. Navjot Singh Sidhu too has only 6 MLAs suporting his candidature.On a query as to why the party did not heed to the popular choice, Jakhar, speaking to TOI, said, "Though Congress is a secular party but somehow a perception was created that a Sikh should be the chief minister of the state. It was not the decision of Sonia Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi but few leaders from Punjab and Delhi made the decision. I have no remorse that despite getting maximum votes, I was not considered because I was not a Sikh. It somewhat pains me but I respect the decision."

He further added, "I was not even an MLA or state Congress president, despite that 42 MLA preferred me as new chief minister. I take solace in this."

Assembly elections updates

Jakhar says whenever some questions are raised on choice of office bearers, he has said they should not undermine the authority of any office and likewise when party took the decision he did not want to differ.

"It was only a telephonic call to all the MLAs asking about who should be in the chair after Amarinder and at this point of time when elections are round the corner we should not go to people to ask their choice for party face, pointing towards party getting views about CM face between Channi and Sidhu," he added.

Jakhar also said that after Channi was made the chief minster, he was offered the post of deputy chief minister, which he politely declined. Jakhar is at present the chief of the campaign committee in Punjab.

He, however, said that after Channi was made the chief minister, he performed his job well.

Making the revelation in a public meeting in Abohar assembly constituency from where his nephew Sandeep Jakhar is contesting, Jakhar has claimed that he was the first choice to replace Amarinder Singh.

Web design company

Forty-two of the 79 party MLAs wanted former Punjab Pradesh Congress chief Sunil Jakhar to take over as the Chief Minister of the state after Captain Amarinder Singh had stepped down from the post, Jakhar has claimed. Addressing a public meeting in Abohar on Tuesday, Jakhar further said only two legislators favoured Charanjit Singh Channi as the chief minister of the state.

"There were 42 MLAs in my favour, only two MLAs took Channi's name as Chief Minister," the former Punjab Pradesh Congress chief said.

Comment

Working...
    X