Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

serein

Adjective-suh-ran

Meaning-fine rain falling after sunset from a sky in which no clouds are visible.

Comment

Bevy

Noun: bevy \BEV-ee\

Examples: Starting at 7:30 p.m. on most nights in October, a bevy of jack-o-lanterns will glow along pathways on Newfields' campus.

Comment

crapulous

Adjective- krap-yuh-luhs

meaning-given to or characterized by gross excess in drinking or eating.

Comment

Steadfast

Adjective: steadfast \STED-fast\

Examples: I remain steadfast in my adoration of the glorious season we are now entering. Between crisp mornings and humidity-free afternoons—not to mention kaleidoscope leaves, 20-pound pumpkins, campfire perfume, … and a dozen other joys—the here and now is heaven on Earth.

Comment

Edify

Verb: edify \ED-uh-fye\

Examples: This is our first theatrical performance where our theatre is now complete. Young audience members will be edified by being around lots of amazing women's stories, and the old ones will be reminded of the progress that we have made.

Comment

Qualm

Meaning - Qualm is often used in the plural form qualms for feelings of uneasiness about whether something is right or wrong.

Noun
              - KWAHM

Comment

Qualm

Noun:qualm \KWAHM\

Examples: My main qualm with this pie was that there wasn't enough flavor for my liking.

Comment

Wormhole

Noun: wormhole \WERM-hohl\

Examples: Imagine space as a vast sheet of paper. You live at one end and you want to travel to the other end. Ordinarily you'd have to trudge across the entire length of the page to get there. But what if you folded the paper in half instead? Suddenly, where you are and where you want to be are right next to each other. You simply have to jump that tiny gap. We call these objects wormholes because it is like a worm trying to navigate its way around an apple. To get from the top to the bottom it has two choices: Crawl around the outside, or chew a shortcut through the middle.

Comment

Wormhole

Noun - WERM-hohl

Meaning - A wormhole is a hypothetical structure of space-time that is envisioned as a long thin tunnel connecting points that are separated in (well) space and time.

Comment

Facetious

Adjective: facetious \fuh-SEE-shuss\

Examples: Forget the license to kill. James Bond fanatics carry a license to argue about everything. Who's the best Bond? Well, Connery. Obviously. But Daniel Craig's a close second, many believe. And the other screen Bonds have their admirers, despite the lesser movies' unevenness or facetious gadgetry."

Comment

Negotiate

Verb - nih-GOH-shee-ayt

Meaning - to deal with or bring about through discussion or compromise." It also means, for people and things in motion, "to get through, around, or over successfully.

Comment

Amity

noun: amity \AM-uh-tee\

Examples: He's one of the few people … to have a deep, long-lasting amity with Russell, who guards his privacy and is fiercely dismissive of the social whirl.

Comment

Draconian

Adjective: draconian \dray-KOH-nee-un\

Examples: Members of the public were mostly against the censure policy…. They said the policy was draconian, divisive and unnecessary.

Comment

Trepidation

Noun -\trep-uh-DAY-shun\

Meaning - Trepidation is a feeling of fear that causes hesitation because you think that something bad or unpleasant is going to happen.

Examples: The current market is great for employment. There was a lot of trepidation for companies in 2020. People wanted to see how things would work out and were stalling.

Comment

Roister

Verb: roister \ROY-ster\

Meaning: to engage in noisy partying or celebration.

Examples: Of course, my student life wasn't all angst and regret. I spent much of my time falling in and out of love and roistering around the world of Cambridge theatre.

Comment

Working...
                                X