Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facile

Adjective: facile \FASS-ul\

Examples: It feels as though the songs just came to be. They reveal a facile elegance that does not let on the laborious writing and technical work that went into their creation.

Comment

revenant

Adjective-rev-uh-nuhnt

Meaning- a person who returns as a spirit after death; ghost.

Comment

Treacle

Noun - \TREE-kul\

Examples - But Parr's script swings so often between artistic triumph and personal tragedy that the structure quickly feels predictable, and lines likely intended to be inspirational sound more like pat treacle.

Comment

Procrastinate

Verb: procrastinate \pruh-KRASS-tuh-nayt\

Meaning: to intentionally put off doing something that should be done.

Example: I will start with a confession: I procrastinated about writing this article for months. Postponing it put me in good company. The statistics are simple: 100 percent of people are guilty of procrastination.

Comment

nyctophobia

Adjective-nik-tuh-foh-bee-uh

Meaning-an irrational or disproportionate fear of night or nighttime darkness.

Comment

Arch

Adjective: arch \AHRCH\

Meaning: principal or chief.

Example: Not being able to thank whoever gave this gift is causing me so much anguish I’ve started wondering if I have an arch nemesis, who sent it purely to torment me. If so, arch nemesis: my compliments.

Comment

sepulchral

Adjective-suh-puhl-kruhl

Meaning-proper to or suggestive of a tomb; funereal or dismal.

Comment

Inane

Adjective: inane \ih-NAYN\

Meaning: The host of the show greeted the audience with inane, but laughingly memorable, remarks.

Ecample: And because the leader insists 'There are no bad ideas,' everyone pipes up with inane or irrelevant suggestions.

Comment

columbarium

Adjective-kol-uhm-bair-ee-uhm

Meaning-a sepulchral vault or other structure with recesses in the walls to receive the ashes of the dead.

Comment

Passel

Noun: passel \PASS-ul\

Examples: He's here!' the vehicle owners cheered as 100-year old driver of a 102-year-old Buick Irenee DuPont arrived again. DuPont then handily backed his car precisely into a parking place alongside a passel of other old vehicles.

Comment

Lenient

Adjective - LEEN-yunt

Meaning-not harsh, severe, or strict.

Example: When it comes to growing up, we're all split into two camps: those with lenient parents and those with strict parents.

Comment

Camaraderie

Noun: camaraderie \kahm-RAH-duh-ree\

Example: What was amazing Sept. 26 was the camaraderie and devotion to the team that the golfers exhibited. These same players weekly go head to head on an individual basis but there were no grandstanders here, no sense that one golfer was better than another—just a team that could feel destiny in its grip

Comment

Propitiate

Verb: propitiate \proh-PISH-ee-ayt\

Example: Borlaug was in Mexico for a small side project that involved … a fungus that is wheat's oldest and worst predator (the Romans made sacrifices to propitiate the god of stem rust).

Comment

angakok

Adjective-ang-guh-kok

Meaning-a shaman in Inuit society.

Comment

Demagogue

Noun - \DEM-uh-gahg\

Examples: "You need an internal guidance system for making decisions. Without one, your choices become heavily influenced by external forces such as peers, television, and demagogues."

Comment

Working...
                                X