Does Christianity support non-veg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Christianity support non-veg?

I have quite a few Christian friends whom I have seen to have meat and alcohol during christmas. So, I had a doubt if their religion supports non-veg food or not. I have found this article on the net. Please give me your feedback.

EXPANSIONS OF THE BASIC TENETS OF CHRISTIANITY TO KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS

<p>

While working at the BBT office years ago, stuffed in the back of the inside of a filing cabinet, I ran across a paper which revealed some connections between Christianity and Krishna consciousness. I found them to be informative and helpful. Especially because some of this document contained a more accurate translation of the Greek words used in the Bible! Therefore I asked around the office, "Who does this belong to? Do they want it? Since it appears abandoned in the back of all the folders, may I have it?" The answer was, yes I could have it. J

<p>

Though I never found out who it previously belonged to. I wish I did so I could include their name for credit. Please note I did not compose this, except for touching up a few rough spots or adding a few verses. Thank you to whoever it is out there that did all this research and put it together!

Before starting, I would like to clarify that vegetarianism is not automatically the same as vegan. While I respect those who have chosen to go vegan, that is not the topic. For all intents and purposes, lacto-vegetarianism is the topic.

With that said, I share some of it here.

<p>

VEGETARIANISM:

<p>

[Translations for specific words given are all from the Greek.]

Mathew 3:4 “And the same John (the Baptist) had his raiment of camels hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey."

The word used here for meat is ‘broma,’ which more accurately translates as 'food.' Also note that the word locusts refers to locust bean or carob, known as St Johns bread.

Luke 8.55 “And her spirit came again (referring to a woman Jesus raised from the dead), and she arose straightaway: and he (Jesus) commanded to give her meat."

The word that has been translated as meat is "phago" which really means “to eat.” Jesus gave her something to eat, that’s all.

Luke 24:41-43 “And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he (Jesus) said unto this (his disciples), ‘Have yet here any meat?’ And they gave him a piece of broiled fish, and of a honeycomb. And he took IT, and did eat before them."

<p>

The word used here for meat is "brosimos," which more accurately translates as “eatable.” So they simply gave him something that was eatable. Notice also the use of the word “it” (my emphasis), which is used as singular. Jesus was offered fish and honeycomb, but took only one.

<p>

John 4:8 “For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat."

The word used here is "trophe," which actually means "nourishment."

Acts 9:19 “And when he had received meat, he was strengthened."

Again, the word is trophe, nourishment.

Acts 27:33-36 “And while the day was coming on, Paul besought them all to take meat, saying, this is the fourteenth day ye have tarried and continued fasting, having taken nothing. Wherefore I pray you to take some meat: for this is your health: for there shall not an hair fall from the head of any of you. And when he had thus spoken, he took bread, and gave thanks to God in the presence of them all: and when he had broken it, he began to eat. Then were they all of good cheer, and they also took some meat."

All three words used here are trophe/nourishment. Note (my emphasis) that even though they say meat, they show clearly that what he was referring to was bread, which they all took.

Acts 15:34 “And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house."

The word used here is "trapeza" which translates as table. It says he set a table before them.

Romans 14:17 “For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."

The word used here is "brosis," the act of eating. This is a reference to the fact that the kingdom of God is not material.

Romans 14:20 “For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence."

The word for meat used here is broma/ food. It shows that it is not the eating of food that is wrong, rather it is not eating prasadam or spiritual food.

I Corinthians 8:13 “Wherefore, if meat makes my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.”

The word for meat used here is broma, food, while the word for flesh used here is "krea" - flesh. This verse can even refer to the fact that if one eats meat he is making the cattlemen, the butcher, the packer, etc., commit offense, as are we not all brothers?! (Or sisters.)

I Timothy 4:1-3 “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the later times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.”

This verses is used by (some) Christians to say that people who say to not eat meat are departed from the faith and are even seduced by spirits. But word used here? Broma/food. If anyone is speaking hypocrisy, is is such (and not all) Christians.

Luke 11:37 “And as he (Jesus) spake, a certain Pharisee besought him to dine with him: and he went in, and sat down to meat.”

The word used here is "anepesem" or "recline." It says he went in and sat down.

Isaiah 7:14-15

14 “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign: Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

15 "Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.”

Christians tend to quote the first verse as proof that Jesus is the savior, and that's fine, but they rarely quote the verse next, which shows he will be a vegetarian.

<p>

Now, the question arises, what does the eating of butter and honey have to do with knowing how to choose between good and evil? It may surprise some to learn that throughout history there has been many Jews who followed vegetarianism. Their belief was that meat corrupted the soul of a persons. The Bible teaches that meat makes you "stumble," on a similar level to alcohol, thus corrupting the your heart. Thus, notice the use of the word “it” (my emphasis), is used as singular. Jesus was offered fish and honeycomb, but took only one. He would eat butter and honey, instead of meat, so that his heart would not be corrupted.

<p>

Romans 14:21
    "It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or made weak."

And so here is the verse I referred to above, stating that meat, like alcohol, makes one stumble. Be it from causing the conscious to go fuzzy or through hardening of the heart, or may effect us in some other way (mental, emotional, spiritual, etc.). -- The word flesh used here is krea, flesh. So it is clear that meat eating is wrong.

If by "support" you mean Christians can be veg, than the answer is yes. The bible doesn't specifically ADVOCATE people to be veg, but it does allow it. The exception is that on certain days of the week you aren't supposed to eat "meat" and I use quotations on that because the biblical definition of meat doesn't include fish, that's right, fish is considered vegetarian. Don't bother trying to figure it out, it doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
    X