India's Sodomy Laws, As Well As Other British-Based Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India's Sodomy Laws, As Well As Other British-Based Laws

Homosexuals are very badly discriminated against in India. For example if an employer finds that there employee is gay they will fire them. Many homosexuals and transsexuals are barred from working because of their nature. As a result most live in grinding poverty.

It must obviously be because homosexuality is illegal in India. But anyone that knows Indian history will know that Indians have been very tolerant and accepting of homosexuals, transsexuals, eunuchs, ect. In fact they were allowed to own land and many other privileges. Even Hindu deities had homosexual relations so it is even in the mythology.

But when the British came all this changed. After completely taking over India they imposed their laws as well, which made India homophobic.

And the law that makes homosexuality in India illegal is called none other than "Sodomy". Sodomy is a Christian sin and the word sodomy derives itself from European Christianity. Sodomy isn't the only British Christian law it has either.

Why hasn't India done away with these stupid British Christian laws? Although I'm not gay myself, homosexuals should have the right to consenting sex. And the true India would be far more tolerant to sexual minorities. India is a Hindu/Secular nation, not Christian one with idiotic laws like "Sodomy". Heck even modern Britain has abolished that law despite being more Christian. Why hasn't India advanced in this area yet? If it is the nation of the free then all people should have this freedom as well.

Indian has not get an "absolute" independence. their country declared independence many years ago, but their mind are still colonzised up to now. they can not get rid of the influence of west and still admire the west. they take the rightness of the west for granted. they don't go their own way but follow the way the west direct them.
    For example, the british never give inidan democracy during their 250 years of colonization. but when they withdrew from india, they suddently establish a democracy system for inida. It's obvious that for india such a backward country a nominial democracy is nothing but a poison for ecnomic development. but indian people naively treasure this rubbish ... sad. tell you the truth, democracy is only a consequence of ecnomic develepment, but NOT a prerequisite. if you don't believe, just check the history of all the developed countries. notice up to 1950s, black american still cannot vote.
    Last edited by snower; 10-02-2006, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Silverbackman we dont need ur dumb advise on the matter. We know how to manage our affairs. Individual freedom does not mean freedom to do anything one pleases. And we dont think homosexuality is correct. Its entirely our choice. There are no. of christian majority countries that allow prostitution and their economy run on the taxes collected from the prostitutes.

But that does not mean we will do it as well.

There are no of countries where the local govt supports smugglers and drug mafias. That does not mean our govt will also let that happen.

Homosexulairty in closed doors can never be discovered in the first place. And in public places a display of homosexual affection is wierd and unimaginable in our society at least. If you are comfortably with it. fine. why do u preach others.

And mr. snower i dont know what drives u so mad about india?? Why dont u clean ur own ass before trying to clean ours. You will do urself a favour. Coz i am sure no matter which country ur from, ur country is not perfect. You have still to do a lot. So mind ur own business.. Pleasee......pleaseeeee

Comment

Chill out rohit khaitan. This is an Indian forum if you didn't know so you talk about India here not our countries.

Secondly, don't you understand that your intolerance of homosexuals is based from British rule to begin with? Homosexuals were not discriminated how they are in modern India. Why do you think the law is called "Sodomy"? Sodomy is Christian sin.......DUH! And it used to appear in British law (as well as other Christian countries) prior to 1950 (and even after).

Don't look at it as "dumb" advise and try to have a rational discusion. If not then don't post.

Comment

Originally posted by snower
          Indian has not get an "absolute" independence. their country declared independence many years ago, but their mind are still colonzised up to now. they can not get rid of the influence of west and still admire the west. they take the rightness of the west for granted. they don't go their own way but follow the way the west direct them.
          For example, the british never give inidan democracy during their 250 years of colonization. but when they withdrew from india, they suddently establish a democracy system for inida. It's obvious that for india such a backward country a nominial democracy is nothing but a poison for ecnomic development. but indian people naively treasure this rubbish ... sad. tell you the truth, democracy is only a consequence of ecnomic develepment, but NOT a prerequisite. if you don't believe, just check the history of all the developed countries. notice up to 1950s, black american still cannot vote.
          There are good and bad in every culture and country. Having a democratic republic wasn't a bad idea. Adopting bigoted colonial laws from the West are.

Comment

Silverbackman I had seen father (Indian Christian) of church in one TV discussion he said, homosexual relation is against the nature, two male cannot produce baby (child) so it is wrong… They cannot form family

He also said it is not correct.

As per my personal opinion, homosexual people do have some mental problem you believe or not this is true. God made Male and Female, when there is a disorder during pregnancy only than neutral gender is born. To go against the law of nature is foolishness.

As per Hindu religion what I know All so called god have their wife(Except Narad Muni he was brahmchari)... ha ha ha so your first post is totally wrong...

Gay are not born they are made... in their childhood they are been sexually exploited so they become gay.... this is the ultimate truth.

The biggest problem of Gay is that when ever you will be in bus or train bloody they will try to touch your sexual organ ... what a shit... They really need some treatment...

They are abnormal may be they can do their work or profession but in matter of sex they have problem.. ha ha ha

Disorder is always a disorder
            "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

He he he he .. LOL ... ==> Disorder is always a disorder

He he he he he .. LOL ... ==> The biggest problem of Gay is that when ever you will be in bus or train bloody they will try to touch your sexual organ ... what a shit... They really need some treatment...
              Last edited by Priyanka; 10-03-2006, 08:53 PM.
              Making a million friends is not a miracle, the miracle is to make a friend who will stand by you when a million are against you..

Comment

It's wrong to make homosexuality a crime. Things like stealing, murder etc. should be made a crime. Even molestation is a crime so you can complain if a gay person gropes you and you don't like it! But simply making someone's sexual choice a crime is overkill.

And I believe democracy and economic development are both needed today. We can't have one and not other. Lack of democracy is very inhuman and undignified. A person or persons sitting on top must not decide the rights of all the adults. We are not nappy wearing babies. We must decide for ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by sunilkumar
                  Silverbackman I had seen father (Indian Christian) of church in one TV discussion he said, homosexual relation is against the nature, two male cannot produce baby (child) so it is wrong… They cannot form family

He also said it is not correct.

As per my personal opinion, homosexual people do have some mental problem you believe or not this is true. God made Male and Female, when there is a disorder during pregnancy only than neutral gender is born. To go against the law of nature is foolishness.

As per Hindu religion what I know All so called god have their wife(Except Narad Muni he was brahmchari)... ha ha ha so your first post is totally wrong...

Gay are not born they are made... in their childhood they are been sexually exploited so they become gay.... this is the ultimate truth.

The biggest problem of Gay is that when ever you will be in bus or train bloody they will try to touch your sexual organ ... what a shit... They really need some treatment...

They are abnormal may be they can do their work or profession but in matter of sex they have problem.. ha ha ha

Disorder is always a disorder

Your arguments have been proven false though time and time again in the West. Homosexuality is a common in at least 10% of the population of all cultures. Homosexuals don't choose to be gay, whether it is nature or nurture it doesn't matter. It is a sexual orientation. And believe it or not homosexuality is not completley uncommon, it is found in many animal species. Alexander The Great was arguebly bisexual.

Secondly, perhaps your experiance with homosexuals are different. Here in America no homosexual acts like you say (called sexual harrasement).

Thirdly, that is your opinion that homosexuals are sick and bad. You shouldn't have the right to enforce your moral beliefs on others, that is freedom.

Finally, yes, homosexuality being illegal is based on the British system, otherwise it wouldn't be called "sodomy" . Prior to British colonialzation eunuchs, homosexuals, ect. where given property rights and no one really cared. When the British came in they imposed many Christian values which changed things.

Comment

Silverblackman you said that this is an indian forum. Then why ru here in the first place. Take ur ass to where it belongs.

Secondly if a law is written in english it will obviously use an english word. Its your small brain that thinks we r too obssessed with britishers.

In india a no of languages are spoken and we use words from many languages in our dialect which also includes english words and phrases.

That does not mean we r obssessed with west or anything. Your society needs to get more tolerant and stop being jealous of others before you preach others.

Comment

And yes in your america people indulge in intercourse with animals too. That does not mean we will start doing that.

If ten percent of population in america is made of gays and crazy people it does not mean it is so everywhere in the world.

The problem with you people is that u think america is the whole world. If homosexuality is the law there u want to impose it on every country.

In your america the so called free women are often sexually exploited at work places, homes and public places. Your president mr. dubyaman spends half of his time in his office plotting on other countries. Your 9 out of 10 sentences r total lies or distorted truths. Still we praise u for ur scientic, economic and architectural achievements because we r not shallow minded like u people to look at the weaknesses of others. We try to see positive amidst all odds.

And u start believing that we r obssessed with u people.

Comment

Silverblackman you said that this is an indian forum. Then why ru here in the first place. Take ur ass to where it belongs.
                        Silverblackman? So you are racist too? That doesn't surprise me.

This is an Indian forum to discuss Indian affairs. This forum is open to all that want to discuss India if you didn't know. Are you that intolerant? Racist, homophobic, and forumist. What is wrong with you?

'
                        Secondly if a law is written in english it will obviously use an english word. Its your small brain that thinks we r too obssessed with britishers.
                        Your brain seems to be really small if you don't know that homosexual is homosexual in English, not sodomy. Again, do you really know what you are talking about? Do you know where the term sodomy comes from and why people use the term? Since you supposedly have a big brain I won't tell you then.

I never said India was except with "britishers" (what the heck is a “britishers”? You mean “the British”. Learn to spell, dude.). There are just a few things that India has to give up that they have inherited from Britain. Britain influenced India a lot, both positively and negatively. All I'm saying is that India should get rid of the negative. Sheesh.

In india a no of languages are spoken and we use words from many languages in our dialect which also includes english words and phrases.
                        That has nothing to do with anything or the term "sodomy".

That does not mean we r obssessed with west or anything. Your society needs to get more tolerant and stop being jealous of others before you preach others.
                        I never said you were obsessed with anything. Read my posts carefully. And WTF? Our society needs to become more tolerant? Your society is the one that locks up people for being gay. If you want to compare tolerance be my guest. And this isn't preaching, it is friendly advise from your fellow man .

And yes in your america people indulge in intercourse with animals too. That does not mean we will start doing that.
                        Are you insane? What the heck are you talking about?

If ten percent of population in america is made of gays and crazy people it does not mean it is so everywhere in the world.
                        Ummm no I think you are failing to see my point. Every society has at least 5-15% of a homosexual/bisexual/transexual population. India probably has a larger amount of sexual minorities as well.

I think you fail to realize the fact that no one chooses to be gay. Those thousands in India that are gay didn't choose to be gay. Whether it is a result of nature or nurture it makes no difference.

The problem with you people is that u think america is the whole world. If homosexuality is the law there u want to impose it on every country.
                        As far as I know I never stated that we Americans should take over India and impose a "homosexual law". In fact America is a pretty homophobic nation regardless but it is at least tolerant to gays as far as the law goes. That is where all laws should end up.

In your america the so called free women are often sexually exploited at work places, homes and public places. Your president mr. dubyaman spends half of his time in his office plotting on other countries. Your 9 out of 10 sentences r total lies or distorted truths. Still we praise u for ur scientic, economic and architectural achievements because we r not shallow minded like u people to look at the weaknesses of others. We try to see positive amidst all odds.

And u start believing that we r obssessed with u people.
                        Again, what are you talking about? Your bring up stuff that has nothing to do with the topic. And you are badmouthing another group of people (Americans) as well. If you are going to be rude then don't bother to reply.

Comment

Silverbackman,
                          Not only the sodomy but many other laws in IPC are from pre independence times. I agree with you that many of these are archaic and need to be changed. However, please try to understand the social issues in India are very different than in US. Even in the US changes are slow with respect to gay rights. They are still not permitted in the army. Similarly, when India will overcome its problems of illiteracy, poverty and social inequality will the issues of more personal nature come into focus.
                          And you are most welcome to participate in the discussions on this forum. Rohit, Observor and Sunil, if someone talks constructively we should welcome them. Its only idiots like snower that say something just for the sake of it. Just ignore them.

Comment

bhachoudhary ==> Rohit, Observor and Sunil, if someone talks constructively we should welcome them....

bhachoudhary he he he … would you like your son to be gay?... tell us truth...

I don't want my son to be gay or daughter to be lesbian...

Alexander the Great was homosexual that’s why we (Chanakya Brahmin) screwed his ass & he has to go from India as a loser…

Alexander was away from home to win world, bloody he was screwing his own army so his own commander gave poison to him.

May be Homosexuality is a common in at least 10% of the population of all cultures but it is a mental disorder. Homosexual is not a natural phenomenon… male child is exploited sexually by stranger or by his uncle or by any other people. Which make him Gay... This is the ultimate truth about Gay.

Silverbackman it would be better if you do survey about what I had said within gays.

If 10% population does something, that never means it’s a natural phenomenon, e.g. I had never seen male dog having sexual relation with other male dog… you can consider any other mammal reptiles or birds of this world… what they do in matter of sex is natural …

If 10% population do something, that never means it’s a natural phenomenon… & if so then why USA is bomb barding on Iraq and try to put gun on Iran and other Muslim country… it’s not necessary your ideology should follow everyone.

Silverbackman in my opinion homosexuals are mentally sick.

Homosexuality is not natural…

Section 377 of the IPC: Whoever voluntarily has intercourse against the order of nature is a punishable act.

In India, homosexuality has traditionally been tolerated, not celebrated, Even Manu Smriti pronounces severe punishments for male as well as female homosexuality.

Note: - One of the forms in which Shiva is worshipped is Ardhanarishwara, containing both the female and male energies. Its actual meaning is to show that Shiv (Only god) doesn’t have masculine or feminine gender & to show that wife is part of his husband that's why we call her Ardhangani... (I.e. half body of their husband). That is not any way related to homosexuality.

Silverbackman I hope you got an idea that section 377 IPC was not only made because of bible…. even Manu Smriti pronounces severe punishments for male as well as female homosexuality.
                            Last edited by sunilkumar; 10-04-2006, 11:52 AM.
                            "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

Originally posted by bhachoudhary
                              Silverbackman,
                              Not only the sodomy but many other laws in IPC are from pre independence times. I agree with you that many of these are archaic and need to be changed. However, please try to understand the social issues in India are very different than in US. Even in the US changes are slow with respect to gay rights. They are still not permitted in the army. Similarly, when India will overcome its problems of illiteracy, poverty and social inequality will the issues of more personal nature come into focus.
                              And you are most welcome to participate in the discussions on this forum. Rohit, Observor and Sunil, if someone talks constructively we should welcome them. Its only idiots like snower that say something just for the sake of it. Just ignore them.
                              Yea, I totally understand that it will take time for India to become more tolerant but my point is that Indians have always been tolerant to sexual minorities. It was the British that came in an imposed laws such as "Sodomy". If homosexuality was completely out of Indian culture then that would be different but historically they have played some role (despite whether or not many Indians looked down upon it or not). So Indian laws should remain tolerant. I'm glad you agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X