Saina Nehwal pulls out of Commonwealth Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saina Nehwal pulls out of Commonwealth Games

India's hopes of fetching five badminton medals at the Commonwealth Games suffered a massive jolt on Friday as ace shuttler and defending champion Saina Nehwal pulled out of the Glasgow event after failing to recover from leg blisters sustained during the Australian Open Super Series triumph last month.

"I had suffered a groin injury during the first round in Australia and then there were those blisters on my leg but I still won the title. After I came back I had two and a half weeks but I took one week to recover, so hardly got a week to train. So, I decided to pull out. It's heartbreaking for me as well," she said.

India had won four medals in the previous edition of the Games at New Delhi. Besides Saina's gold in women's singles, the pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa won the yellow metal in women's doubles, Parupalli Kashyap earned a bronze in men's singles, while the hosts settled for silver in the team event.
    Saina's withdrawal is a big blow to India as the shuttlers were hoping to win at least five medals this time around, with P V Sindhu in women's singles and K Srikanth in men's singles also having bright chances of a podium finish.

Working...
X