Goan Cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goan Cuisine

Goa can boast of delicacies like the tangy pork 'vindaloo', spicy 'sorpotel' and the ever popular Goan fish curry with rice. Goa's luscious coconut and fish based dishes draw in people from all over the world. Goans often accompany their meal with one of their innumerable local wines or the local liqueur called 'Feni'.
    Goan Food is simple but one has to bear in mind that most, though not all, of it is chili hot, spicy, and pungent. Rice, fish, and coconut are the basic components of the typical Goan food platter. Besotted with seafood, the Goans find truly world-class prawns, lobsters, crabs, and jumbo pomfrets along the coastline and use them to make a variety of soups, salads, pickles, curries, and fries. An essential ingredient in Goan cooking is coconut milk made by grating the white flesh of a coconut and soaking it in a cup of warm water. Equally important is the ‘kokum’, a sour, deep red colored fruit that gives it a sharp and sour flavor. The famous red Goan chilies are also a must for most dishes, as is tamarind. Goans make their own version of vinegar from toddy. Then there are innumerable chutneys that are typical of the state.
    Goa is not particularly known for its vegetarian dishes. While Hindus like lamb and chicken, Christians prefer pork. However, both prefer fish and seafood to any other meat. Pork is a must for any festive occasion in Goa and the most famous preparation is the vindaloo. For those with a sweet tooth, Goan cuisine offers the famous bebinca.Other sweets include a soft jaggery flavored fudge called dodol and Easter eggs known as ovos da pascoa. Similarly, during the Hindu festival of Ganesh Chaturthi, cone-shaped dumplings called modaks are a favorite fare.
    An accompaniment to wash down all Goan food is the locally brewed feni. The Goans probably first distilled this from the fermented sap of the coconut flower-stalk, but later they also made it from the fruit of the cashew tree which the Portuguese had brought to the state with them.
    IndiaBook Sr Editor and Reviewer
    IndiaBook is like my child whom I want to nuture till perfection.It is a dream of success which will be made reality soon.

Nice to know more about Goan food. I was eager to know more about it. Before i knew that Goan foods are main sea foods. I think they are more famous for sea foods but i was great to know about the details. I will next time go to Goa. That's the place i have never visited. I have to go there.

Comment

New Indian Cooking Video Channel

Dear food lover , here is a channel to Inspire everyone to cook Indian food and taste Indian food

Thank you
      Vah chef

Comment

can anyone provide some good links for Goan recipes...?
        i'll be grateful...

Comment

Working...
        X