Punjabi Cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punjabi Cuisine

Punjabi people are robust people with robust appetites and their food is like the Punjabis themselves, simple, sizeable and hearty with no unnecessary frills or exotic accompaniments. The Punjabi tandoori cooking is celebrated as one of the most popular cuisines throughout the world. Huge earthen ovens are half buried in the ground and heated with a coal fire lit below it. Marinated meat, chicken, fish, paneer, rotis and naans of many types are cooked in this novel oven and the results are absolutely scrumptious!

Punjab has imbibed some aspects of its cuisine from external influences. Connoisseurs of the cuisine say that the gravy component of Punjabi cuisine came from the Mughals. The most popular example is the murg makhani. It served the state well to combine this influence in its cooking since it had a lot of pure ghee and butter. Murg makhani also provided a balance to tandoori chicken, which was dry because it was charcoal cooked. Nans and parathas, rotis made of maize flour are typical Punjabi breads. Of course, over the years the roti has been modified to add more variety, so there is the rumali roti, the naan and the laccha parathas, all cooked in the tandoor.

Winter, in Punjab, brings in the season of the famous makki ki roti (maize flour bread) and sarson ka saag (mustard leaf gravy). No meal is complete without a serving of lassi (sweet or salted drink made with curd) or fresh curd and white butter which is consumed in lagre quantities. The other popular dishes, which belong exclusively to Punjab, are ma ki dal, rajma (kidney beans) and stuffed parathas.
    IndiaBook Sr Editor and Reviewer
    IndiaBook is like my child whom I want to nuture till perfection.It is a dream of success which will be made reality soon.

Nameeta,

I am writing a novel in which a group of people take motorcycles between Ambala Cantonment and Amritsar. Where would they be likely to stop for lunch and what might they eat?

regards, Vauss

Comment

Vauss

if they are a group of people going on an adventure trip then they should stop on some good dhaba and have the traditional food which mainly comprises of kali dal and tandori roti or makki di roti and sarso da saag.
      Do let us know when your novel is completed and what it is all about.
      IndiaBook Sr Editor and Reviewer
      IndiaBook is like my child whom I want to nuture till perfection.It is a dream of success which will be made reality soon.

Comment

The most famous Dhabha to stop would be jaggi Dhaba at the outskirts of jalandhar, a city few miles away from Amritsar. In Amitsar, Kesar and Kundan dhabha would be the place to go for such people.

Comment

I am the owner of this site and Punjabi from Chandigarh like Dhaba food when ever I will go to Jalandhar I will have food on Dhaba you recommended.
          Last edited by Parveen Komal; 03-19-2005, 06:41 PM.
          Founder & Creative Mind of Megrisoft
          www.indiabook.com
          Business
          Please Do Not Spam Our Forum

Comment

i would love to go to dhaba now. its been 2 years since i went to any dhabas. i seriously need to go to one dhaba and eat punjabi food. so basically punjabi foods are vege or non vege.

k which is the best punjabi food every.

Comment

Hey I love Mala-e Kofta & Tandoori butter roti....

I also like Paneer tika masala and Paneer butter masala.. Sweet Lassi....

Maike ki Roti and Sarso ka Saag...

But Frankly saying i Like Lassi of Ahmedabad
              Note:- I had tasted lassi of punjab and Delhi, but i know some place in Ahmedabad were lassi is too good ....

But i don't like Palak Paneer ...

See now my mouth is full of salivaa... my wife should know how to cook..... i love eating vegetarian food
              Last edited by sunilkumar; 08-23-2006, 01:36 AM.
              "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

Check out the Recipes of Malai Koftaa

Name:Malai Kofta in a creamy sauce

Category: Vegeterian

Ingredients........

For Koftas :

2 Potatoes, Boiled, peeled and mashed
                75 gms. Paneer, grated
                1tsp. Green chillies, chopped
                25 gms. Raisins (Kishmish)
                Salt to taste
                1/4 cup Corn Flour
                1/4 tsp. red chilli powder
                Oil for frying

For Gravy :

2 medium size boiled Onions, paste
                1 tbsp. each gine-garlic paste
                1/2 tsp. green chillies, finely chopped
                1 large Tomato, pureed
                1/2 cup Khoya (Mawa)
                1/2 cup fresh cream or heavy whipped cream
                1 tsp turmeric powder
                2 tsp. coriander powder
                1/2 tsp. red chilli powder or to taste
                1/4 tsp. sugar
                Salt to taste
                1/2 tsp. Garam masala powder
                2-3 tbsp. Oil

Variation : Milk powder can be used in place of khoya

Instructions:

For koftas, mix all the ingedients of koftas together and divide into 14 equal portions .
                Shape into long rolls and suff raisins into each roll, deep-fry in hot oil until cooked.
                Drain onto an absorbent paper and keep aside.
                Heat oil in a pan and add boiled onion paste and cook till golden brown.
                Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir-fry for few seconds.
                Add turmeric powder, corriander powder, red chilli powder and salt, stir-fry for few seconds.
                Stir in tomato puree and add sugar and garam masala powder.
                Cook on high heat, stirring continuously till oil begins to separate.
                Now in 11/2 cups of water dissolve khoya or milk powder.
                Add to the gravy. Bring to boil. Simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until desired consistency. Finish with fresh cream.
                Just before eating, place the fried koftas in a serving dish and pour the hot gravy over and serve immediately garnished with fresh stirred cream.

Serve it with Naan, Rice or Roti

So now people can try it out .... Enjoy ... yummy
                "Situation have way of changing Don’t expect help. Help yourself. The day you help yourself, it’s your First step to success."

Fight on my dear self, fight on. Life is a struggle, do not shirk struggle Enjoy the sweetness of life but do not stop struggle, Fight on my dear self Do not entertain fear for fear is death. The world will frighten you but fight on, dear self fight on.............

Comment

Try my lovely punjabi Paneer Makhani. More punjabi dishes at http://MyFoodCorner.com

150 gms Paneer
                  1 Onion chopped
                  2 Tomatoes chopped
                  1 tsp Cumin Powder
                  1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
                  2 - 3 Cloves
                  1/4 tsp Chilli powder
                  1 tsp Kassori Methi
                  ¼ tsp pepper
                  Salt to taste
                  <br>
                  1/4 cup Milk
                  1/2 tsp sugar
                  1 tsp Oil
                  1 tsp Butter

Heat oil, fry paneer pieces on medium heat until golden brown. Set the paneer pieces aside. Heat oil, saute tomatoes, until they get soft and tender. Add oil , fry ginger garlic paste, onions, cloves , chilli powder , salt, fry until onions turn golden brown.Add tomato puree and cook until oil seperates from the gravy. Add milk, sugar, kassori methi, paneer and simmer for 2 minutes.

Comment

New Indian Cooking Video Channel

Dear food lover , here is a channel to Inspire everyone to cook Indian food and taste Indian food

Thank you
                    Vah chef

Comment

thanx sunil kumar... that recipe for malai kofta sounds gr8..
                      i'll tell my mom about this one..

Comment

Working...
                      X