Bengali Cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bengali Cuisine

Bengal's greatest contribution to the food heritage of India is a magnificent spectrum of sweets made from burnt milk and curd. 'Rasogullas', 'gulab jamuns', 'cham cham', 'malai sandwich', 'chena murki', 'anarkali', 'rajbhog' - the list of mouth-watering delicacies is endless. 'Mishti dhoi' or yoghurt sweetened with jaggery is a must in every Bengali home. Guests are always welcomed with 'sandesh' or sweets made from burnt milk and 'singadas' or crisp samosas.
    Besides sweets, the Bengalis eat fish with great relish and most of the popular Bengali dishes are made from fish. A variety of styles are adopted to cook fish. They are at times marinated in spices, at other times cooked in curd. The cuisine of West Bengal differs from that of Bangladesh in that the use of coconut in this cuisine is much lesser and mustard oil is cooking medium instead of coconut oil. The spices differ from those used in the heartland of India, but are similar to those used in the interiors of the East Coast.
    The specialty of Bengali cooking is the use of panchphoron i.e. five basic spices which include zeera, kalaunji, saunf, fenugreek and mustard seeds. Generally, Bengali food is a mixture of sweet and spicy flavors and dining with these gentle people is a definite treat.
    IndiaBook Sr Editor and Reviewer
    IndiaBook is like my child whom I want to nuture till perfection.It is a dream of success which will be made reality soon.

panchphoron -what a lovely word,good enough to eat.

I love Bengali food so long as it is somebody else who is doing the eating.

he he he--- this is going to annoy a few dhotiwallas.

Comment

Bengali food is also very nice. The best thing i like about Bengali food is the sweet. THere are about 800 different varieties of sweets. ANd sweets varies from town to town. Bengali dishes varies from those of Bangladesh. Bangladeshis use more spice in fish while Bengalis use more spice in vegetarinian dishes. But we have mroe varieties of sweets. Soanpapdi is one of my best.

Among the vege foods aluposto is the best. Trust me anyone eating it will relish it. It is great and it is different type of spice. we also use it to make posto chicken, and fish posto. WE also eat different varieties of shrimps. I think Bengal is the only place were you have so much sweets. No othe rplace has so much sweets. Orrisa has sweets but in less varieties. Tough competition beteween oriyas and Bengalis.

Our food is completely different from rest of India.

Comment

i have tried some of the bengali sweets and i must agree that i give them the credit for making the best sweets i have tasted.
        miqsh
        EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Comment

really?? What sweets have you tasted?? Can you remember the names? I know the names are confusing.

Comment

rasagoola and rasmallai - are they bengali??
            miqsh
            EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Comment

yeah they are bengali. rasogolla. that's one of the most famous bengali sweets. But i like rasmallai better. It is the best according to me. But if i taste some sweets then man i can't stop eating those. I like Malai Cham Cham. That is the best sweet according to me. But seriously there are too many sweets. YOu need to taste them to see what real Bengali taste is. You cannot do it here. You have to go to India to taste it and to really experience it. Even the container in which they give you the sweet adds to the flavour. It makes it even better.

Comment

Dear Friends,
                Would you like to cook Kakra Jhol, Chingri Malai Kofta, Chicken Stew, Chettinaad Chicken Pepper Fry, Murg Mussalam, Baked Bhetki, Chitola Macher Muitha, and many more yummy dishes. This is to inform the community that we have recently launched http://www.senskitchen.com, a free site with lots of Bengali recipes for daily use. Please visit the site and support our efforts.
                Namaskar,
                Webmaster@senskitchen.com

Comment

New Indian Cooking Video Channel

Dear food lover , here is a channel to Inspire everyone to cook Indian food and taste Indian food

Thank you
                  Vah chef

Comment

Working...
                  X