Indian Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Culture

Hi everyone:-) I was watching some bollywood movies that I really enjoyed but there were some cultural references that I didn't understand and I was wondering if someone could please explain them to me:-):-) The first thing is when the ladies wiggle their thumbs at the men...what does that mean? And also what does it mean when people "snatch" at the air in front of someone and then put their fists to their temples...? And finally, do only married women put henna in the parting of their hair, or does every women do it? Thanks so much:-)

Hi,
    I have a feeling you've been watching some old bollywood movies I don't quite have an answer to your first two questions. I would need to know the context of those actions to tell you what they meant.

Regarding your third question, it's a tradition among Hindu women to put red powder (it's not henna i think) called sindoor in the parting of their hair after they get married

Comment

Got no answer for the first two questions. For the first one my guess is to show that you are unsuccessful in attempting something. Not sure. Never seen those gestures in Indian movies though i watch them a lot.

Comment

Working...
      X